Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturday Night in Devon - 13 Sept 2008

asteria

Hi there -

13 September 2008

This was my first session for ages, due to bad weather and lack of time. I got the ST120 set up on the CG5 mount and waited for the cool down to complete. I like the ST120 a lot as it is easy to use due to the wide field of view. I use a 2” 26mm Revelation Superview eyepiece that gives around 3 degs TFOV (it has 70 degrees AFOV). This makes tracking down objects much easier, but magnification is limited – the scope/eyepiece combination gives about 23x.

My guide is always the Astronomy magazine Atlas of the Stars. It was published in 2006 and available in WH Smiths for £5.00. It’s definitely the best atlas I’ve found for ease of use; for the money it was exceptional value. My only reservation is that it doesn’t identify double stars , which seems to be a bit of an oversight. Nevertheless everything else is exceptionally clear. It shows just enough stars to give you a sense of where you are in the sky.

By 8PM it was dark enough to begin familiarising myself with the night sky again.

First up:

Arcturus - I use this star to get going. It’s a nice bright orange star that gives a useful orientation point in the west.

Next up:

Vega – always an inspiration, due to its bright clear light. It can give a bit of false colour in the ST120, but it’s never too intrusive.

Then:

On to Albireo – a classic double star, the gold and blue combination is a knock out every time!

Drop down in declination:

For NGC 6802 (The Coathanger) – one of my favourites. This asterism just fits in the 3 deg FOV and is a lovely sight.

Another go for:

M71, a globular cluster – I’ve found this one or two times, but tonight I couldn’t pick it up. It’s a couple of magnitudes less bright than M13 and much smaller so perhaps the sky was too bright with the sun just set and a full moon rising.

I tried for:

M27, a planetary nebula – went the way of M71!

Back to Vega:

As a reference for epsilon Lyrae, the double double, and then zeta Lyra, another pair. I’ve not noticed zeta before, an unassuming pair of white stars.

Lost in space:

At this point I went to search for the Ring Nebula (M57), but got a bit lost. I’ve found it before in the MAKCASS, but just couldn’t get it sorted out tonight. Another time.

Back to delta Lyr, as the reference for Hercules.

Next stop:

Pi Her – as a stepping stone to...

M13. I’ve got this one nailed now, so I can find it with binos and scopes. In the ST120 at this magnification it looks like a fuzzy ball.

Back to pi Her for:

M92 – no problems tonight as it is more or less straight up in declination. I’ve not seen this before so it was a new sight. Again, this might be better in the MAKCASS with a bit of magnification. At least I know where to get it now!

Now a journey to the East...

The constellation of Perseus is always good value at this time of year.

I started at alpha Pers for:

Mel 20, the beautiful open cluster that surrounds the star.

And then Algol (beta Pers) as the reference for:

M34 – I’ve got this one sorted too. A bit of northerly declination and then wind back the RA. M34 should pop into view, an open cluster.

Back to beta Pers before swooping back in RA for:

M31, the Andromeda Galaxy – it’s just too bright tonight to see anything other than the core. This is a pity because on a dark night with a clear sky, the galaxy looks fantastic in the refractor, with the two companion galaxies just visible as well in excellent conditions.

Up to:

Eta Pers – this is a delicate double star and a good staging post for the Double Cluster.

Wind on some northerly dec, and wind back a bit of RA for:

NGC 884 and NGC 869, two open clusters that make up the Double Cluster. This is a very nice sight even tonight in the ST120, with the two groups sitting in the middle of the FOV: a glorious view every time.

From there to:

Delta Cassiopeia for a quick look at M103, the small open cluster.

Finishing up with:

Mizar and Alcor – I tried to track down M101 from here, but it was low in the sky and I couldn’t find it. Oh well.

And a quick look at:

The Moon, peeping between a chimney, a roof and a TV aerial. Still looked great!

All the best

Ed

Archived