NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Evostar 100ED or Esprit 100ED ?

Think I'm narrowing down purchase of a new frak to the SW Evo or Esprit 100.

Main pro's in favour of the Esprit are obviously the triplet objective, but the focusser also appears more robust which would be better for hanging a DSLR off of the end. The field circle also looks good.

The Esprit therefore appears the better scope, but is it worth the extra?

I'd appreciate thoughts from owners of either / both scopes to help me finalise my choice.

Many thanks!

kev

Although these two refractors have 100mm apertures, the similarity ends there! The focal lengths are very different which in turn means that their focal ratios are also very different. For visual use, both would be very good as your choice of eyepiece(s) can compensate to some extent for discrepancy in focal length for a given object.

However, for deep sky imaging, the Esprit would be the better choice with improved optics, a more substantial focuser and a shorter focal length for larger objects like nebulae. You would ned to factor in the field flattener for the Esprit for imaging purposes whereas the Evo 100 is supplied with a flattener/reducer.

What do you see yourself using the telescope for mainly?

Archived