NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

PST solar images 13.09.08

frogbmth

Lovely pics! I'm at a loss on how to take decent images through my PST. I use it in conjunction with a modified ED80 and get some great visual views. I've tried some imaging with my digital camera at the lens but it was extremely hit and miss. I got the odd semi-reasonable image but most we're very, very poor. I keep getting told good pics are virtually impossible with a PST and I need to get a Solarmax 40 - obviously this is not true! If you could post some hints, tips, processing techniques etc it would be (very VERY) much appreciated. I've now got an astronomiser colour ccd camera and a Nikon D40....any chance of using either of these? Many thanks. Andrew.

Hi Andrew

I have found it pretty easy to get reasonable images from a PST. I read all these things about the PST being unsuitable for imaging and that it should be seen as a visual only instrument. It's simply not true.

Firstly my disclaimer - I am very new to solar astronomy and have only had my PST for a few weeks. I am no expert but I am happy to share what I have learnt. I only have experience with webcam/CCD imaging with the PST so I can't give any pointers on using a digital camera. My couple of goes using my camera phone were pretty poor! Many people are doing well though and they can probably give you more pointers than I can.

The only issue with using any webcam type camera (I have the SPC900NC and DMK21AU04.AS) is that the eyepiece holder on the pst does not allow enough movement of the prism to reach focus. In older model PSTs the EP holder could be removed easily yo overcome this. New (blue objective) models have the SP holder bonded on and I for one don't want to be trying to pull it apart. There are two other solutions.

You can use a barlow - though not all work well with the PST and it does start to push the PST towards its magnification limits.

You can screw the end lens of a barlow to your camera nose - seems to work with any barlow with a removable lens

You can screw on a magni-max 1.6x thread on barlow from BCF (Scopes N Skies)

You can buy a low profile 1.25" adapter - this is my solution for both cameras and the most sensible IMHO - allows a wider field and much easier!

Which astronomiser CCD do you have? The secret is to avoid shooting in colour. Shoot in monochrome (remember PST images are all monochromatic) or if you have colour shots already, split them to RGB and work on this monochrome image. My images are composites, with longer exposures for the proms on the solar limb, and much shorter exposures to capture the detail of the disc. I then composite them in PSPx2 using layers, and colour them to taste.

Andy

Many thanks for the good advice Andy,

My PST was 'shipped' from Coronado on 14th April 2007 so not sure if that makes it an older model. I'm able to unscrew the tube so I can attach the body to my ED80's focuser (apparently you are not able to unscrew the tube on later versions). I can also unscrew the top half of the eyepiece holder (the part with the nylon screw). The bottom half of the holder seems pretty well attached to the PST body.

Unfortunately the astronomiser camera I have is a colour ASTSC3C II, which I believe is based on a Philips SPC900C.

Thanks again,

Andrew.

Archived