Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Colour not right - cocoon nebula

Dear all, I imaged the cocoon nebula last night using my Atik 320e camera and a CLS filter. I used maxim DL to convert to colour, Align and stack. However, the resulting colour of the final stacked image is whey too blue. I have tried different bayer matrix within maxim DL and this is the best colour I can get. Please see picture below. Perhaps I am doing something wrong. I have attached a link to the light and calibration frames, if anyone wants to have a play. Any advice would be appreciated :)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B-Afq_Dv8HerbUY4clBTd19TMXc?usp=sharing

Group1-16 bit.tiff

Being facetious to some extent, are you sure your colouring is wrong?

many people adjust colour balances to suit their aesthetic views.

I do, however take your point. But, the night sky is not black either.

it may help those better informed on such things, if you could post details of the image, e.g. number of exposures,  filters used, exposure durations and so on.

myself, I don’t know if it’s an OSC or mono camera :), but, I have a note of seeing somewhere that 320e is not very sensitive to IR so, may just be getting less reds than you hope for?

i use nebulously at the Moment for 1st stacking and use it’s background tool , usually gets rid of any overtly colour bias.

Thank you Iapa, the camera is a OSC and I took 29, 300 second exposures, 12 darks and bias and 15 flats. I used a CCD cls filter.

Moving away from Maxim DL, I stacked using a demo of Astroart and the  background is now a lot blacker with the colours being as one would expect.

I don't use Maxim, as personally, I find it very dated and clunky, but my guess would be that you have selected the wrong Bayer matrix configuration when stacking the pictures. I dont know about your 320e but my Atik OSC has an GRBG configuration, and that must be selected to get the colours right. In a lot of software the default setting is RGGB, and might need changing.

Thanks for reminding me of the cocoon nebula by the way, it is a great target and one full of intrigue. Along with the thick hydrogen emission, there is a certain amount of reflection nebulosity, well worth chasing if oyu have dark skies. In my experience though a CLS filter might make it harder to acquire enough signal to bring it out well.

Hope that helps explain what went wrong anyway.

Cheers

Tim

Archived