Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Processing Help with Star Tools

Hi all, last night I had my first go at imaging M31 with my 80ED Ds-pro and Canon 1000d.  As I am limited to using my AltAz mount at the moment I had to limit my exposures to 15 seconds and used ISO1600.  I captured over 200 images but decided to stack only 50 of them due to dew problems (dew heater has moved to the top of my wish list now).  I've been trying to get a good image out of the stacked images with Star Tools all day but can't seem to get a good result.  The best I can manage is attached but there is definitely more detail in there.  

Can anyone do better?  I'd love to know how if a good image can be dug out of my data.

m31.tif

m31-2.TIF

50 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

flats are very helpful I find but why not work through the processing steps in that blog and see how you go.

i like to use manual develop after the first auto develop.

Yes I have been using various tutorials including that one with not much luck, whenever i try to bring in the detail through develop step i end up getting a very noisy grainy image.  I was wondering if It was a problem with my data or me?

my experience with startools is that flats do help with the grainy noise issue. and more lights help. 

try this stack approach. new process in dss: lights with your bias files (no darks)  register those files. then look where registered files went and copy and rename the master bias. add this new file as a master dark file. now process the stack. also ensure all options are as suggested in that blog. it is an unorthodox approach but nothing lost trying. you have a fab telescope I think there is more to be had from the gear you already own.

Archived