NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good Mixed Session - Unexpected!

cloudsweeper

Clear sky - set up the 8SE - then total cloud - went indoors for a sulk, but on going back out, no clouds at all!

Aligned on Altair and Sadr, using a low power EP, and defocusing for better centering as usual - very effective.

M11 Wild Duck Cluster - very pleasing, with bright stars against a faint, dense background which was clearly resolved into specks of light at x145.  (Better contrast.)

M71 Glob - a Y pattern of stars by a fuzzy background, resolved again at x145, also using AV.

M15 and M2 Globs - dense, bright patches - no further detail up to x203.  Return visits necessary!

M27 Dumbell Planetary Nebula - roughly circular patch, standing out much better (contrast) with the OIII filter.

NGC6823 Open Cluster in Vulpecula - a new one, and very nice too, with a lovely straight line of five evenly-spaced stars next to several bright ones in loose array.  It is apparently within emission nebula NGC6820 which I did not detect, but did not try any filters on it this time.

Eastern Veil - I found this very easily this second time, and using x68 (reasonable field) and the OIII, noticed more features/detail than just the fuzzy arc I saw last time.  Persistence and experience really do pay off in this hobby!

An enjoyable couple of hours on targets old and new!

Doug.

Nice session Doug. Well done! :) I wa out for just over an hour and a half last night after midnight. Mainly looking at Uranus, Neptune & the asteroid Iris again, but cruised round some of the objects you saw too. Managed to push the magnification up to 200x with my C8 & 10mm Tele Vue Delos EP well last night. Hoping for another good session tonight too fingers crossed. 

Archived