NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I have made a mistake...

All the proper advice notwithstanding I will never forget some years ago when it went to totality in Cornwall - I was 300 miles away in the SE of the UK working in a laboratory full of scientists.  We were still expecting a fair chunk to go and resplendent with safety advice and no solar filters we optimistically set up a pinhole projection system onto the tarmac.  In the event we looked dismally out with about 20 mins to go and all we saw was clouds.  Come the best time we all trooped outside anyway just 'in case'.   In the event the clouds shifted just an ideal amount.  We could see the disk of the sun quite clearly through the cloud cover, but no way was it is was going to clear to be that bright that we'd ever make the pin-hole system work or damage our eyes.  The entire group of people saw the moon eclipse the white disk with our own eyes though the best solar filter nature could have provided - we counted ourselves very fortunate!

Currently expecting about 10% to go here - I am watching the clouds - currently at 100% impenetrable, however if they clear around 5-6pm tonight I'm going to lug the telescope up the stairs and out onto the balcony where I should get an angle on the setting sun behind the trees and fit up the solar filter I made just to see if we can see it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived