Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

I have made a mistake...

I'm in a bit of a pickle guys...

I waited too long to sort out all the eclipse stuff, so I ordered some baader solar film because it said it was in stock and ready to ship. It claimed that it would deliver on Wednesday, now it's Friday and I get an email saying it was back ordered. If it comes before the eclipse, great, but if not then I won't know what to do.

I already have a solar filter for my 4.5" dob, but I want to photograph the eclipse with a 200mm lens. Is this filter sufficient enough to attach in front of the lens? Any other solutions?

If all is lost I can still photograph totality and look at the partial phases visually.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Dave In Vermont said:

Many local libraries are offering these free. I'd suggest looking into it, Galen

60% eclipse from here -

Dave

You mean those cardboard solar filters for lenses? That would be perfect, our libraries have a telescope program somI wouldn't be suprised.

Yes you can use the Dob filter for your camera lens -  the best thing to do would be to make a cardboard holder so the filter is held in place.  Scissors and glue technology is all you need!  Just make sure that it can't blow off in the wind.

If you are careful you should be able to make an adapter that allows the use of the filter on either the Dob or the lens.

1 hour ago, Bizibilder said:

Yes you can use the Dob filter for your camera lens -  the best thing to do would be to make a cardboard holder so the filter is held in place.  Scissors and glue technology is all you need!  Just make sure that it can't blow off in the wind.

If you are careful you should be able to make an adapter that allows the use of the filter on either the Dob or the lens.

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear! :) 

You could even build a cardboard cell to fit the front of a telescope, then attach a filter from the glasses to cover a small opening on the cardoard-cell. In other words, if you had an 8" DOB, the filter-cell would reduce the aperture to only 1" or 2" - it would work fine as you don't need all that much aperture to see the Sun.

Whatever you do -

BE VERY CAREFUL AND DOUBLE-CHECK EVERYTHING BEFORE VIEWING THE SUN!!

Dave

On 8/18/2017 at 21:12, Galen Gilmore said:

I'm in a bit of a pickle guys...

I waited too long to sort out all the eclipse stuff, so I ordered some baader solar film because it said it was in stock and ready to ship. It claimed that it would deliver on Wednesday, now it's Friday and I get an email saying it was back ordered. If it comes before the eclipse, great, but if not then I won't know what to do.

I already have a solar filter for my 4.5" dob, but I want to photograph the eclipse with a 200mm lens. Is this filter sufficient enough to attach in front of the lens? Any other solutions?

If all is lost I can still photograph totality and look at the partial phases visually.

Thanks in advance.

The same exact thing happened to me! Let me guess...was it Amazon?

I managed solar film from starizona.

I guess next time we'll plan earlier!

1 hour ago, HunterHarling said:

Amazon has sent emails to their customers to say that all the solar-glasses, and other solar-goods, were all fake ones. Shop-keepers who sold legit gear - AgenaAstro etc. - were wrongly accused! I have suggested to Agena (whom I work with every day) to get a lawyer and file suit against them. Such will be discussed post-eclipse.

To anyone who bought from Agena - all the goods from AgenaAstro pose zero risk. As always, Agena is a well-established shop dedicated to helping customers. Rather the same as FLO! Amazon has created a huge problem for this mess!

Hope this helps any worried folks out there,

Dave

10 hours ago, HunterHarling said:

It was Adorama, they did eventually ship the film though. They never seem to ship on Saturdays though so I guess I'm lucky.

During the last eclipse i used floppy disks.  When you pull it apart you are left with the dark brown disk, looking through it at the eclipse was just fine, so fine infact that the rest of the 100 strong IT department came out and demanded disks too.  For looking at the sun its just perfect, bit dark but see everything, for protection against UV etc i am not so sure

I'd suggest use the floppy disk idea in erm moderation :p, I always blamed by bad eye sight on erm....... (never mind).  I did read somewhere when I was using the floppys that they have a marginally safe infrared transmission but unsure where i read it from so i cant confirm that.  IF anyone goes to Aberdeen University in say 30 years time and you see 100 IT people blind, remember it was me :D  

I might be a grumpy git, but are we really encouraging people to use a a floppy disc inside as an eclipse viewing device? 

YOUR EYESIGHT IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT - DO NOT TAKE ANY RISKS WHEN VIEWING THE SUN. PLEASE ENSURE THAT YOU USE CERTIFIED SOLAR ECLIPSE GLASSES BOUGHT FROM A REPUTABLE DEALER, OR SOLAR FILM AGAIN PURCHASED FROM AN ASTRONOMY SUPPLIER. 

IF YOU DO NOT TAKE THE CORRECT PRECAUTIONS - YOU MAY DAMAGE YOUR EYESIGHT. 

Now seriously chaps. Even joking this "advise shouldn't have been given". 

Please don't do it again.

David (in vermont), what do you do for a living? Every week I see you doing something different. I have surgery coming up and fully expect to see you doing it !!!!! 

Ant 

I'm a 'professional-student' Ant. I study - sciences mostly (but not all) - but not always. And don't worry - surgery isn't one of my skills, except in the occasional emergency with cats and other small creatures who come to me for help (true stories). Then only minor procedures or they get dragged off to the Vet. Last one was a broken middle-metatarcal on the left-front paw of a local raccoon. She lived! :D

Had a heck of a time getting her to move back to the forest after her foot had healed. She'd gotten into a fight with an interloper raccoon in the midst of a rabies epizootic.

Happy now?

Dave

Raccoon.jpg.9484600338f24f3aabe3c532ca078b92.jpg

Archived