Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My 1st observation/review with a Skymax127 EQ3-2

Hi

I took out my scope last night, even though it was brief, left it to set to the outside temp for a 1-2hrs. My God - The views of the moon were stunning, I used the scope with a Meade SP4 26mm, then switched to a Skywatcher SP4 40mm. I was very impressed. :thumbright:

These Skywatcher scopes are fantastic for the price/Build Quality/performance ratio.

I would consider buying another tripod/mount as I like the rounded legs much better then square aluminium tripod legs. Possibly an EQ5, even though there was some wind last night, the EQ3-2 Mount/tripod performed very well, no shaking/wobbling or slight vibrations. But do make sure you level your tripod/mount before viewing, the EQ3-2 mount comes with a Bubble level, levelling makes a difference.

Polar Aligning was a not so difficult, just getting used to operating a Proper Equatorial Mount instead of a Fork Mount, slightly different. The mount was aligned in 5mins.

I found the Red Dot Finder on this scope easy to align and use & also it has a solid feel to it.

The main Tube Assembly is of a High Build & feels Solid, the focusing knob has a rubber grip, very smooth motions & I did not notice any focus shift - which is a good thing, this mainly happens when using Maksutovs when the object in view is being focused it will shift slightly out of view, from what I have read.

I do not know what the other Skywatcher Telescopes are like. But I would certainly consider buying another Skywatcher Telescopes for a 2nd scope.

Hi Deneb,

I've yet to hear anyone complain about the Skymax 127's or their little brothers, and I must confess I'm starting to consider getting one myself. I can only imagine what the views of the moon must have been like, especially after a decent cool-down time like you'd given it.

Cheers

Mark

I went for a Skymax 127 with a Equatorial Mount only with an interest in doing Astrophotography at a later stage, the Supatrak version I believe is good enough for Lunar / Planetary webcam imaging, but for longer exposure work, you might think investing into an Equatorial Mount with Dual Axis Drives.

The dual axis drives cost me an additional £90, but worth it, I was expecting something plastiky. The build quality are excellent, easy to install, the hand controller is so easy to use, it comes with a switch for use in the Northern & Southern Hemisphere, 3 speed controls - 2x 4x & 8x. This is connected into the ra & dec motors via a RJ11 Connection (a telephone lead connection).

Best of all, they virtually silent while in use.

Archived