NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Incoming Tokina 300mm f5.6

I've seen varied reviews of these lenses, which were made and sold under various brand names. Apparently there were several versions, but the ones with a silver ring at the base (which were a sold under the old Vivitar brand) seem to get consistently good write ups. They have low CA, apparently the second lens group contains an ED element, terrestrial photos seem to be well controlled.

I've pressed the button on an allegedly immaculate one for £30. Not quite the WO61, but an inexpensive way top see what 300mm can do for me! A Pentax k to canon adaptor will take a while to come, but so will gaps in the clouds! Some butchery may be required to get infinity focus with my  hacked 450D...

2 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

Bet it is surprisingly heavy bit of glass. Hope it is a good one.

I also looked at their 300mm f4.5, hefty front lens but a lack of reviews. my guess was that a bigger lens would probably be less well controlled and need to be stopped down.

Archived