NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First dark sky and no telescope

mikey2000

I'm in Devon for a holiday and it has definitely been a bit rainy     But the sky opened up for a moment yesterday evening....  I've never seen such a dark sky - I could hardly find anything at first as there were too many stars!

My wife was still up and light from indoors was spilling into the little garden but I kept my back to the light and kept looking up through the old 8x42 binoculars that I had just found in the cupboard under the stairs.

So it was my first dark night sky and first binocular session….

8x42 seemed ok to hand hold.  A set of more modern 7x50s might well be on my birthday list now.   It's different and somehow easier to navigate with the wider, right-way-up view.

Once I got my bearings, I realised I had a clear view to the north and east, with Cassiopeia clearing visible.    The Double cluster was an easy find and definitely a different view to my 150pds.   From there, off to Andromeda – I could just about make out the galaxy unaided and another easy binocular score.   I got bold then and had a look for the Ring in Lyra (with Vega hanging right over head).  No luck there.

Then I realised I was making out a glimpse of the Milky Way!  That’s a first for me, here in the northern hemisphere- I’m so used to light pollution.   I had a sort of sidetrack as the photographer in me wanted a quick go at photographing the milky band above.    Results to follow but it looks promising….

Clouds started rolling in so I bravely hunted for m81 and m82.  I think I saw something but I’m not certain.  I’ll try again tonight as by now the clouds were winning again.

Next time, I need my telescope!  I am now officially hooked on dark skies .

You definitely can't beat a dark sky. I've just returned from Dorset after a few days away, and altogether go the skies were not as good as they often are, it is still great to get away from the light pollution.

Keep an eye out for the ISS while you are down there, plus other satellites and also meteors, always plenty going on up there!

Archived