NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

veil with cls

My project for yesterday was to have been m17, but the turbulence down in Sagittarius was impossible so I had a go further north with the cls filter instead. It's supposed to do the blue oxygen line, but I'm not convinced. All it seems to do is reduce the light reaching the sensor. Perhaps better to let all the light through and take more snaps instead. Patience permitting, I may do another session so any experiences with and without cls most gratefully received. TIA and clear skies.

veil.thumb.jpg.de36f5c0576afdc43894ec277e139aad.jpg

Nice result.

When it comes to blocking LP, I do find that for observing it might help a little but in photography it actually cuts out the finter glow in, for example, galaxy spiral arms. I took a bunch of subs through a LPR filter and I could get longer subs before the sub was becoming too over exposed compared to just a UV/IR filter, but the shorter subs through the UV/IR filter did allow me to stretch out more faint details once stacked.

So now I just do a set of subs at the longest sub time that the conditions allow for, than a bunch of shorter ones to keep the stars from being bloated and rely on more subs rather than trying to cut the LP.

Archived