Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coalsack & Southern Cross from New Zealand

Image of the Coalsack & the Southern Cross. Taken at 8.30pm last night after a sunny day. Not a particularly clear sky, only managed 7 subs out of 22 due to drifting cloud. Canon 350D on fixed photo tripod. 7 subs 20 secs @ 1600 ISO. 20mm FL.

8213_normal.jpeg(click to enlarge)

The Coalsack is just below centre of image and the Southern Cross is just below and to the right of the Coalsack. The two bright stars above the centre of the image are known as the Pointers.

The quarter Moon was out with Jupiter not far away to the East. They were both very high in the sky.

The top part of the house is lit up solely by the bright moon - no street lights etc. You can see some high cloud just above the house.

I should get the borrowed Celestron CG5 - GT Eq mount in the next week or so. I'll then be able to use the ZS66 with the Canon, WebCam & QHY6, for longer subs.

8)

MD

Very nice MD, an area of sky I've never seen! it'll be great when the CG5 arrives!

Funny you should mention the moon being high - last night the moon was about as low (at maximum height) as I'd ever seen it. I think it got to 10 degrees above the horizon.

Ant

Well worth seeing WH if you get the chance.

Ant - when the CG5 arrives I can go after the Large & Small Megallanic Clouds, Omega Centauri, Tucanae etc. It's certainly a different sky to the UK!

UK moon low down, NZ moon high up - it was so high that it was difficult to get a view of it (and Jupiter) with the ZS66 on the photo tripod.

Half an hour earlier I was able to have a good look at Mercury which was reasonably high in the West - and very bright. The best view I've ever managed of the 'winged messenger'. The house we're renting is pretty high up in the hills and has great all round views - and a reasonably dark site.

Hi Dave, have a good trip 'down under' - the skies are just waiting for your binos!

8)

MD

Archived