NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Plastic bits

Has anyone ever had plastic parts of a scope/eyepiece break in cold weather? Because It sometimes will go to -50 C here (only in winter though) so just wondering if you figure it would be safe to go out then. Because I mean the skies are clearest then...

I have used my scope at -20 without incident, except that my focuser got stiff and my zoom ep froze entirely. Still, nothing broke. Another scope showed no ill effects at all. I imagine plastic parts would break if you bashed them around, but reasonable care should prevent that. Believe me, it's possible to break stuff at +20.

Where the heck are you?

-50°C ?? :shock: Good grief, that's cold!

I've had my ETX 90RA out for about three hours in -10°F with no damage to the plastic parts, but there wasn't any torque involved. I imagine if extremely cold plastic is twisted or has pressure applied to it, it might break or shatter.

Yea I have that problem at -5 with my current mount... I dont suppose a person could get hooked up with grease like they use on the martian rovers??? lol j/k It really sucks when swing sideways you have to pick up the whole thing....

Jon, (it is Jon, isn't it? :) ) a few years ago I took my LX-10 apart and replaced the 'glue' with Arctic Cat snowmobile grease and it made a world of difference. Now instead of stopping when it's +35°F, I can keep going till it hits -10°F. :clouds2:

The Rover grease sounds good... anyone have connections at NASA? :)

Archived