Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equinox Lens Spec

I've been having a carefull look at the specs of the Equinox ED refractors and I've recently noticed that they are now stating that Schott glass is being used for the front element in addition to the FPL-53 glass for the rear. Is this a recent Equinox development or has it been this way since their launch ?.

I also notice that this claim is not made for the PRO ED refractors so I assume that this is now what sets their optical sets apart - I had hitherto believed that the ED100 and ED120 Equinox and PRO scopes were optically identical :clouds2:

Can anyone shed any light on this and how signficant the use of Schott glass might be (assuming it's properly matched with the FPL-53 element of course) ?.

The Equinox 120's are getting rave reviews across the Atlantic (there badged as Orion - I assume that they are the same scopes).

The Equinox ED120 is starting to look even more attractive priced as it currently is at just over a grand :)

I'm just imagining a really dark night, a well mounted and cooled Equinox 120 with my Nagler 31mm in the diagonal ..... mmmm :)

John

I've been having a carefull look at the specs of the Equinox ED refractors and I've recently noticed that they are now stating that Schott glass is being used for the front element in addition to the FPL-53 glass for the rear. Is this a recent Equinox development or has it been this way since their launch ?

They have always used Schott glass (except for the Equinox 66) its just that they have only recently begun mentioning it (some of the lookalikes don't).

I also notice that this claim is not made for the PRO ED refractors so I assume that this is now what sets their optical sets apart - I had hitherto believed that the ED100 and ED120 Equinox and PRO scopes were optically identical :clouds2:

The PRO ED also use Schott, they are optically identical.

Can anyone shed any light on this and how signficant the use of Schott glass might be (assuming it's properly matched with the FPL-53 element of course) ?

Where there is an APO element, there will always be a matching Crown glass element, the quality and manufacture of that Crown is equally as important. As is the quality and design of the cell that holds the elements.

The Equinox ED120 is starting to look even more attractive priced as it currently is at just over a grand :)

Yes, since the recent drop in price the Equinox 120 has been riding the crest of a wave!

Hope that helps.

Thanks very much Steve :clouds2:

It's good to know that the optics of the PRO's and Equinox's are equivilent - the price differential between the 2 ED 120's is very close given the build / finish spec of the Equinox - are the PRO ED's likely to be phased out ?.

John

Archived