New Focusing Aid

George

Many thanks, any suggestions as to what to make it out of?

What are the concentric circles round the edges of mask meant to be for? Is that just padding out to the mirror/lens width?

Yep - gives you options on how you want to mount it..just pic the circle that works for you - my cpc mask fits inside the front cell but i have the advantage of havign the scope here to take the accurate measurements needed for this to work properly ( you also need 2 cutouts to clear the pegs that hold the front cover on if you go down that route)

Billy...

thanks for clarifying, what would you recommend as an easy material to make the masks out of, considering i don't have a workshop full of cutting tools....

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just finished mine tonight, looks great !(even if I say so me sen) I printed 2x halves onto photo paper, cut out the slots then transfered it over to some black mounting board, cut them out again, then used an embroidery hoop to fix it to the scope.

I've just given the reverse side a quick coat of black spray paint now to cover the cut edges and letting it dry off. Tonight is looking reseanably clear so will hopefully get a chance to try it and perhaps even my first go at autoguiding too !

Karlo

two more added...

I'm not sure if is for a skywatcher ED-80 but thats where its ended up...

http://www.btinternet.com/~psmithuk/Focus_Masks/Skywatcher_ED80/PS_ED80_FirstOrder.pdf

http://www.btinternet.com/~psmithuk/Focus_Masks/FL102/PS_FL102_FirstOrder.pdf

These have the concentric trimming rings on the outside so that you can pick the ones that fit the way your going to mount them..

Billy...

Hi guys, fantastic work Billy. :) I have eagerly read all the posts on this new focussing aid and believe me as a newcomer to astronomy dabbling in astrophotography this makes things a lot easier.

Like many peopole I made/bought a hartmann mask but you are right, as good as they are, it really is difficult to judge precise focus.

Billy, would you be able to knock me up a template for a 10" LX90 please. My lense-cap diameter measures 3050mm if that helps.

Having read the posts it is clear that the inventor should gain from this. Shame there isnt a website whereby grateful ppl could donate something to him and maybe to Billy too for all his hard work and effort.

ps. Billy, if you were able to get your guys to laser cut a metal one I would definitely be interested in getting a price.

cheers

Justin

I'm just producing the templates at the moment for people to use FOC as it seems the easiest thing to do ... also dont want to get into the hassle of the "paying" debate...

Give me a dim for the central obstruction and i'll knock up the template - doesn't have to be exact...

I would be suprised if the OD was 3050mm as that would be some scope :)

Billy...

Big thanks to Billy for his template ( though I did tweak it a tad :) ) et al for bringing this to everyone's attention :hello1: :hello1: :hello1:

here are some pics of the one I made for the Cape.

9050_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

9052_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

9051_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

the blue ring is the "inner" from a 10" embroidery ring

Karlo

Thanks to Billy and Blinky I have the drawings for masks for Blinky's and my own scopes, will be knocking them out next week on the turret punch at work, will post pics when done. Not sure the the TPP will be able to get the nice 'sharp' corners that Billy has on the drawings though, will have to wait and see.

Gary

I extended the outer diameter well beyond the 250mm to provide a lip for easier handling and merely changed my idea as to how to attach it. The ring slips onto a "projection" from the top rather the wider OTA dimeter, which would require a deeper fitting ring. ...not much . That's the problem with the Cape, not many about, next to no 3rd party aftermarket gear and no-one to talk to about it :) . It tests one's inventive capabilities, like figuring out how to use a SW autofocuser with it- hence the cut-to-length jubilee clip you can see. :D

Big thanks Billy !

Karlo

Archived