Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which geared head?

tooth_dr

After reading the eclipse e-book I've rethought my whole plan for imaging in the USA.

As I still want to bring my Lunt for some observing I'm after travel options.

I have a sturdy manfrotto tripod with a head but the head isn't easy to use and drops vertically (backlash).

On a budget, what are my options here to utilise my tripod? Talking £100-150 max  

Thanks

Adam. 

I've had the Manfrotto 410 junior geared head for about 3 years and it will stay with me forever, great head and you can pick one up in your price bracket, mine was used off ebay for £100, i think they are around £160 new.

34 minutes ago, MARS1960 said:

I've had the Manfrotto 410 junior geared head for about 3 years and it will stay with me forever, great head and you can pick one up in your price bracket, mine was used off ebay for £100, i think they are around £160 new.

Thanks, what I was hoping to hear.  Does it pretty much work like slow motion controls on an EQ mount ie turn the knobs a bit to move the head?

2 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Thanks, what I was hoping to hear.  Does it pretty much work like slow motion controls on an EQ mount ie turn the knobs a bit to move the head?

Exactly Adam, the knurled knobs are for fine adjustment and the crescent shaped bits are just clutches.

Just now, MARS1960 said:

Exactly Adam, the knurled knobs are for fine adjustment and the crescent shaped bits are just clutches.

Cheers Mark.  I'll have a look around ebay and the likes for a used one, otherwise I'll just go for new.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to tidy up this thread. I've been looking up geared heads for the past 3 weeks every third year or fourth day, not getting round to buying it at full price. On the wex photographic site today and noticed there is 20% off manfrotto gear. The head is a bit dearer there to begin with but with the discount is just over £140. So i bought that and a new travel rucksack. A good saving was had.

And the offer is still on until tomorrow.

Archived