NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ES 24/68 vs Hyperion 24

Ags

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/2/2017 at 10:27, Louis D said:

What about eye relief and comfort?  The ES versions tend to recess the eye lens for no apparent reason whereas the Meade/Maxvision versions have them nearly flush mounted to the top of the housing.

I tried both with glasses on & off. Eye relief on both is just passable if using glasses. Without glasses, both are goof for eye relief. The ES version has ever-so- slightly less eye relief with glasses compared to the 24mm Meade 5000 SWA as seen below because it is recessed. I removed the bulbous cover on the 24mm Meade 5000 and gained a bit more eye relief, but again, better without glasses.

24mm ES 68 Vs 24mm Meade 5000 SWA.JPG

• 4 months later...

Had a peek at the Pleiades last night with my ST80 and ES24/68. I previously tried this with the Hyperion 24 and the view was so bad as to be almost upsetting - most of the field was just fuzzy blobs. With the ES the whole field was sharp and clear. Unbelievable difference.

I use the Hyperion 24 with my Equinox 120ED which is f7.5, and it works very well, some edge distortion but nowhere near enough to bother me in use - though we all have our own standards of what is acceptable.  It worked even better on the Tak 100mm which was f9.  From memory I also found it satisfactory on mikeDnights 100mm f6.4 Tak, and I'm happy using it on my Equinox 80ED which is f6.25 or there abouts.  I would think it's worth trying with any telescope over f6 if anyone considering buying one so you see what performance you'd be getting.  I'd expect the ST80 to be a step too far.

The Hyperion 24 is my most used eyepiece with the 120ED for sweeping, giving a mag of around x36 and field of 1.8 degrees.  Very comfortable for spec users also. I wouldn't mind a second one for use with my binoviewer! :smile:

Archived