Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pictures with the phone.

Hello to all! Today i wanted to speak about taking pictures with the phone. For many new astronomers like myself taking pictures with a fancy camera, or a camera at all. Here are some steps to get good images with a phone. Typically stock phone camera programs are basic and dont allow for a lot of customsation, thats why i recommend getting a more advanced camera program that lets you change shutter speed, luminosity and all that good stuff. Your phone can also act as a filter, since you can change luminosity or with some programs give the image a shade of color that may be considered a filter. The last step, absoultely neccesary if you want to get really good pictures or even make some basic videos you need a smartphone adapter, which can be bought for cheap and be found in lots of diffrent places. You can also try to use your phone without an eyepiece by doing some diy work with the camera, but i dont really know how to do that since i didnt do it, just an idea.  Please tell me your thoughts on this. Clear Skies!                (Edit note: my profile pic was made with a phone! and a moon filter)

Good post Aghii. I'm not sure how to take images without an eyepiece in the scope, but I'm a big fan of using smartphones to take images.

Please do post any results on this thread. Some good info on apps and processing in here too.

I have modded an old iPhone 4 to try primary imaging.... it didn't go well... modding a phone camera is VERY tricky and almost impossible to remove the IR filter without ruining the sensor with dust etc... Even if all goes (fairly) well, you still have a sensor that's a fraction of the size of a DSLR or CCD (even a cropped DSLR) and this is problematic as (in my experience) it magnifies the image beyond the working use of the mirror/primary lens... So even though it may be possible to achieve focus, the quality of the image is still quite poor.... I would suggest sticking to afocal imaging with a phone (through the eye piece).

The only other thing I'd add is to use a blue tooth shutter release (or headphones volume buttons if your phone supports that)... Nightcap Pro even has a built in intervalometer if you decide to get really adventurous!

Archived