Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tother end of scope

George

Quite by accident I stuck my mush in the OTA the other night as I was preparing to take some darks with the DSLR and noticed a faint glow coming from the primary end of the scope. This turned out to be reflected light from the laptop and desktop screens in the obsey leaking into the bottom of the OTA. I was quite shocked by this and wondered how much this has compromised my imaging.

Anyhow its quite simple to get rid of this unwanted light source by plugging the end of the scope.

endcap1.jpg

The tother end before plugging.

endcap2.jpg

And after.

Like I said its a simple fix and i used a circle of rubber floor tiling I had left over from when I fitted my observatory out. it also doubles as a dust and creepies excluder :) I made it slightly oversize so its a nice tight fit and being rubber/foam its ideal for this.

I will before any future sessions take this plug out plus the endcap to get some airflow thru the OTA to equalize tube temperature, once this is achieved put the plug back.

Hi George, I have made a similar plug for mine using black cardboard - stray light can certainly be bad news and once I have got the session running, I turn off my PC monitor completely as a final precaution and monitor proceedings down the network from inside.

Archived