NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can I used scaled dark frames with a CMOS sensor?

Hi all:

Question exactly as it sounds. I was reading up on the relative advantages of CMOS and CCD and came across the fact that noise from a CMOS chip is not Gaussian, but is heavily skewed. Does this affect the use of dark frame scaling, for example if using 1 minute dark frame to correct 2 minute subs on a DSLR? It's not something I have actually tried to do (I always shoot at least a few darks on the night) but would be handy (and interesting) to know.

Thanks,

Billy.

AFAIK, the average of a number of frames should still be good to use, its the higher-order statistics (variance, skewness, kurtosis,...) which take on a different value.  

Because of this, subsequent approaches to noise reduction should theoretically, perhaps, be treated differently.  But for many, the conventional least-squares formulation to minimisation and best fitting is probably good enough.

I've found that with uncooled CMOS (I.e. DSLRs) then calibration was better without darks and just use bias, flats and hot pixel removal. With cooled CMOS then scaling a longer dark to a shorter sub only worked if the exposures did not include amp glow. As darks are so easy to take in daylight it was much easier to build a library of darks for any exposures I might use.

13 hours ago, Filroden said:

I've found that with uncooled CMOS (I.e. DSLRs) then calibration was better without darks and just use bias, flats and hot pixel removal. With cooled CMOS then scaling a longer dark to a shorter sub only worked if the exposures did not include amp glow. As darks are so easy to take in daylight it was much easier to build a library of darks for any exposures I might use.

I agree with this, i found darks a total waste of time when i used a DSLR.

Instead i used dithering as that will help remove fixed pattern noise like hot pixels when enough exposures are stacked, it starts to do it's thing at 10+ exposures with at least 3 dithers.

The more dithers the better, but dithering can also take away a little more valuable time than wanted so dithering once every 3-5 subs is often best.

Archived