NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Nexdome 2.2m observatory - anyone had experience of one?

Geordie mc

Hi. Not sure this is the right place to post this but nothing else seemed appropriate. So, just seen advert for these. They look pretty good. Anyone have any knowledge experience etc. I was thinking Pulsar model but these seem like a viable alternative. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Geordie mc,

I've just come across this product and am also wondering how it shapes up against the Pulsar Domes. There are some reviews on the Web, the dome doesn't look quire as substantial as the Pulsar, but then the package might come in at a lower price than the Pulsar?

They appear to have made their dome compatible with the Skyshed pod base, so they might pick up customers who are frustrated with the apparent leaky half dome design and lack of zenith views...

You might get more posts if the topic was in the DIY Observatory section under equipment, but I'm not sure how you move a topic in SGL.

Yeah I really wasn't sure where to post it. The Pulsar adds a lot of delivery cost for me as I need it for France. It was £600 on top. Nexdome is £130 so big saving straight away. Also has the coating to protect from UV damage which I don't think the Skyshed pod has and I prefer the slit design too. I like the Pulsar but with a couple of bays it's more pricey and I really don't want a concrete base. I would like the pier on a small concrete base and the obey on decking. The Nexdome looks much easier to move with me if I move house. It's only the longevity of the plastic that concerns me. A 5 year guarantee is not really very long. If I had better DIY skills I'd probably go the roll-off roof route with a warm room. I mainly image so that would be an option. Again though cost is high if you have to factor in someone assembling it for you. 

Yes the Nexdome dome sections do look a bit thin, and as you point out a 5 year warranty is not very long. You can buy a loose cover to protect it in the daylight but it would not look  very attractive.

I recently spent a few hours on the Cornish coast imaging from inside a Pulsar dome and although it was much, much better than being in the open air it still was quite chilly.  I like being close to the equipment so the idea of a roll off roof and warm room has some appeal and I think requires less DIY skills to build.

But I do like the look of a dome and the better stray light and wind protection it offers to the equipment..  A dome with a nearby warm room (shed) might be the answer for me.

It's a good job I still have a while longer to decide before I retire and move house.

Archived