Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Orion Sirius plossl 25mm broken apart

ruthlessaz

Hi all, I am new to this forum and this is actually my first post!

I just purchased a used 8 inch Orion intelliscope dobsonian. The 25mm plossl eyepiece was broken, it has to lenses in it and 2 black metal rings, one of which has threads. Can anyone explain how to put it back together, or is it missing a part? I have tried what I feel has been every combination but they are loose still..

Any help would be appreciated!

Thank

Adam

those doublets should be oriented with planar side facing outwards, convex side inwards. The ring with no threads is a spacer, which should be between those two doublet lenses. Ring with threads is for locking everything in place.

EDIT: if the image is distorted even after assembly, try swapping those lenses (swap first lens with second, second with first, again facing convex side inwards). They may look the same, but they may not be the same.

plossl.jpg

Just as information but in the 2 diagrams I have for the plossl they both show the righthand lens as the smaller diameter of the 2, just I would therefore half expect that the 2 lens you have in your hand could be of different diameters. If so then insert the larger diameter one first, then the spacer, then the second lens then finally the threaded retaining ring.

plossl.gif

And - no and as the second image does not display. :wacko:

Most Plossl eyepieces sold today are actually symmetrical in design.  Thus, the two doublets are identical.  It makes them much cheaper to manufacture.  The Televue and Brandon Plossl variations are not symmetrical.

Thank you! Once I get home I will see if this works lol. I bought the scope used on Facebook, so can't really ask for a replacement,  but I'll try to fix it and let you all know how it turned out! Thanks again

Adam

Is the threaded ring supposed to thread? I don't know if it can, and it's all loose in there when I put the silver bottom part on...I'm assuming I should thread the black ring, whats  the easiestway to do that?

6 minutes ago, ruthlessaz said:

Is the threaded ring supposed to thread? I don't know if it can, and it's all loose in there when I put the silver bottom part on...I'm assuming I should thread the black ring, whats  the easiestway to do that?

Did you unscrew the 1.25" chromed barrel first before inserting the lenses, spacer ring and screwing in the retaining ring into the upper barrel?  Post some pictures of what you've got so we can see what you're up against.

Archived