Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Image Orientation Confusion

Forgive me if I'm being really stupid here somewhere, but I'm hoping someone can clear up the confusion I'm having.  I've been taking pictures of the moon with the following setup:

Skywatcher 80ED DS-Pro -> Mirror Diagonal -> Barlow Lens -> Canon 1000d

From what I've been reading, refractor telescopes when used with a diagonal should produce an image that is the right side up, but flipped left to right.  My raw images of the moon look like this:

get.jpg 

which to me (as viewing from the UK) appears upside down, and correct horizontally?  What am I missing?

> "which to me (as viewing from the UK) appears upside down, and correct horizontally?  What am I missing? "

This is what my hand-held point&shoot at 18x zoom showed on 6April (the night before yours) , so yes, inverted top to bottom but ok horizontally, sorry dont know what diagonals are supposed to do on fracs !

70767true.jpg.90e6a545aecd0f1a079c68f6867511a9.jpg

I'm assuming your using the dslr without a lens attached.

In this case the dslr processor is inverting the image left/right and up/down.
The reason it does this, is that the normal dslr lens presents the image inverted both ways to the sensor.

So the camera processor is correcting the mirror diagonal, left right and turning the corrected image upside down.

Archived