NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Travel Setup for Imaging larger DSOs

Just now, DaveS said:

Thanks Helen. It looks like it needs s guide 'scope which I'm not planning to use, though I may have missed something.

I don't know about sharpcap, but usually you can use the main camera for that too

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My setup is starting to come together now. I've put the Nikon lens in ADM guide rings on a dovetail bar. I just took delivery of a zwo efw filter wheel (for 7 x 36mm filters) and attached that to the lens with the zwo Nikon adapter. I just need to attach the asi1600 to the wheel.

The filter wheel is very compact and light considering its got 7 slots. The setup feels secure in the guide rings, here's a pic:

PicsArt_1494610696429.thumb.jpg.338e663e338f1ab3c806e1506942d527.jpg

Andy.

• 2 months later...

I was originally thinking of using the above setup unguided, but now I'm thinking I'll add a guide scope and camera. I'm not quite sure where to add the guider though. Maybe get a longer dovetail bar and try to mount a small guide scope or finder guider underneath. Any advice on adding a guider would be appreciated.

Andy.

• 2 weeks later...

Your setup looks good! Looking at MattJenko's setup you probably could use a long dovetail and put the guider under - would need to be short though or balance might be awkward. Or use a dual side by side mount. I got the ADM version and its really solid - but it weighs 1.4kg so for airline travel a bit of a lump. There are other versions that are lighter.

But if you have an F2.8 lens you'll be faster that MattJ's setup, and he's not guided. That said if you want to do NB or do v faint targets you may want longer than 30s subs. 

BTW since this thread started I got a chance to try my EQ3 pro +300mm Tamron + DSLR with 60mm BST guider. Works well, but a lot to travel with - had to get 20kg hold case and rammed cabin bag. Have you decided on mount yet?

23 hours ago, Tommohawk said:

Your setup looks good! Looking at MattJenko's setup you probably could use a long dovetail and put the guider under - would need to be short though or balance might be awkward. Or use a dual side by side mount. I got the ADM version and its really solid - but it weighs 1.4kg so for airline travel a bit of a lump. There are other versions that are lighter.

But if you have an F2.8 lens you'll be faster that MattJ's setup, and he's not guided. That said if you want to do NB or do v faint targets you may want longer than 30s subs. 

BTW since this thread started I got a chance to try my EQ3 pro +300mm Tamron + DSLR with 60mm BST guider. Works well, but a lot to travel with - had to get 20kg hold case and rammed cabin bag. Have you decided on mount yet?

I found an 11 inch bar so hopefully I can mount the lens far enough back to achieve balance.

I'm wanting to use the setup at campsites and dark sites in the UK as well as travel abroad so was actually thinking of using my HEQ5. Although I realise it's alot to handle baggage wise. I really want goto and the chance to do some longer exposures. So I'm thinking of taking the hit with the HEQ5.

Andy.

51 minutes ago, Andyb90 said:

I found an 11 inch bar so hopefully I can mount the lens far enough back to achieve balance.

I'm wanting to use the setup at campsites and dark sites in the UK as well as travel abroad so was actually thinking of using my HEQ5. Although I realise it's alot to handle baggage wise. I really want goto and the chance to do some longer exposures. So I'm thinking of taking the hit with the HEQ5.

Andy.

Will be interested to see how you get on with the guider set up - keep us posted please!

Re the HEQ5 for air travel - I have HEQ5 and looked at this but you are really going to rack up some weight. 9.9kg for the head and 5.6 for the tripod. Also its surprising how long the legs are. I have a pretty large case - cant remember the dimensions - but it wouldn't go in. I'd have thought the HEQ5 is overkill for the Nikon lens, though of course it would then be more accommodating for a bigger scope. For transporting by car within the UK I guess the weight isnt a problem and if you already have an HEQ5 then why not.

BTW I was thinking of shortening the HEQ5 legs a bit which should work OK (and lighten them a bit) to fit in a hold case for use with the EQ3 pro which currently has the standard ally tripod - a bit more stable. 

Archived