NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Scope advice

Hi im currently planning for a new scope when pennies allow.

I currently have a SW ED80 and 130pds, I like the ease of use of the ED80 and the speed of the 130pds but I cant get on with it.

Ive owned it from new for a few months but thinking of selling and have gone back to the ED80.

I will be only using for astrophotography and have the following on my short list at the moment.

William optics GT81, 102, 132, all are similar slightly different focal lengths.

Tak FC-100DF

SW Esprit 100

There is currently an NP101 on AB&S.

Anyone have experience or advice with these or others ive missed?

My theory is a fast scope at around 500mm but has the potential to get a bit tighter into some smaller galaxies albeit at a slower speed.

The NP101 has a wide flat field and would probably suit your needs. The Esprit will also be good but may need a field flattener. Out of sentimentallity I can't bring myself to say "go for the Tak" as its the longest of the three I think, and a Tak needs to be viewed through, at least from time to time. I know im soft in the head!

Mike

12 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

The NP101 has a wide flat field and would probably suit your needs. The Esprit will also be good but may need a field flattener. Out of sentimentallity I can't bring myself to say "go for the Tak" as its the longest of the three I think, and a Tak needs to be viewed through, at least from time to time. I know im soft in the head!

Mike

Dont worry I know exactly what you mean, I would not set out to do any visual but it does give me the option if i get the urge, I remember looking a Saturn through the ED80 with bad eye pieces when I first got it and it was still amazing.

I agreed with Mike, the FC100DC is just begging to be looked through :)

I don't know why but I've always considered it a visual scope rather than some of the other much faster FSQs such as the 85 and 106mm.

It seems far more people use ED80s or WO scopes with reducers/flatteners or even the FSQs than TV NP101s, I don't read much about them on here at all which seems strange as they seem like the should be ideal.

Hi Stu yeah I see the NP101s come up every now and then but I don't think Ive ever seen the FC100 but the fact it can do both seems idea and also there is quite a few configurations it can be made into.

10 minutes ago, KyleStoke said:

Hi Stu yeah I see the NP101s come up every now and then but I don't think Ive ever seen the FC100 but the fact it can do both seems idea and also there is quite a few configurations it can be made into.

If you are talking about coming up on the used market, I agree. I guess once you have an FC100 you try to keep hold of it!

There are focal reducers and field flatteners specifically designed for the FC100, so you'll still get the wide fields for imaging. Not long ago, someone posted an image of Jupiter taken through a 4" Tak fluorite doublet and it was stunning, so even very good planetary images are possible with such a scope. But be warned, it could be a slippery slope to visual! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Mike :icon_biggrin:

5 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

There are focal reducers and field flatteners specifically designed for the FC100, so you'll still get the wide fields for imaging. Not long ago, someone posted an image of Jupiter taken through a 4" Tak fluorite doublet and it was stunning, so even very good planetary images are possible with such a scope. But be warned, it could be a slippery slope to visual! :icon_cyclops_ani:

Mike :icon_biggrin:

Haha possibly, im not anti it will just be eye pieces to add to the shopping list as well :icon_biggrin: 

Archived