Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

With a run of clear skies recently I've been taking the opportunity to get in some more double star observing.  On the evenings of 9th and 11th I decided to start making my way through Sissy Haas's list of double stars in Bootes.

I managed to bag 11 of the them, but Struve 1816 (with a reported separation of just 0.6 arcseconds) was always going to be too tall an order.

• Eta Bootes - C9.25 with 11 mm TV plossl - Bright white primary with faint wide secondary
  • Struve 1785 - C9.25 with 7 mm UO orthoscopic - Nice tight yellow/orange pair
  • Struve 1812 - C9.25 with 11 mm TV plossl - Pale and dim primary with grey secondary 
  • S656 - C9.25 with 11 mm TV plossl - Wide white/lemon yellow pair
  • 1 Bootes - C9.25 with 11 mm TV plossl - White/grey pair .  Quite close with faint secondary.
  • Struve 1793 - C9.25 with 8 mm TV plossl - Close white/grey pair
  • Iota Bootes - C9.25 with 11 mm TV plossl - Bright lemon yellow primary with almost pale blue or possibly white secondary
  • Struve 1825 - C9.25 with 11 mm TV plossl - Close creamy white/grey pair
  • Struve 1838 - C9.25 with 11 mm TV plossl - Close slightly yellowish almost equal pair
  • Struve 1835 - C9.25 with 11 mm TV plossl - White primary with close slightly orangey paler secondary
  • Kappa Bootes - C9.25 with 11 mm TV plossl - Bright yellow primary with near white secondary, gorgeous
  • Struve 1816 - C9.25 with 7 mm UO orthoscopic - Very close double - unable to split or even detect elongation

Archived