Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

monitor calibration

andyo

Hi all

could really do with callibrating my monitor and am after some advice as to what people suggest are good devices for doing this. I see the Spyder ones advertised but there is the spyder 1 through to five varying from about £40 to £150ish what is the difference they all calibrate the monitor?

I use a Spyder 5 basic and its excellent it turned my laptop into a proper Photoshop editing tool, the differences between mine and the pro version are software only so can be upgraded at a later date if required. I am sorry but cant comment on the earlier versions.

Alan

5 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

I use a Spyder 5 basic and its excellent it turned my laptop into a proper Photoshop editing tool, the differences between mine and the pro version are software only so can be upgraded at a later date if required. I am sorry but cant comment on the earlier versions.

Alan

Thanks for that Alan do you know what difference the software makes, for example does it give better calibration results or does it just offer added extras so to speak

7 minutes ago, andyo said:

Thanks for that Alan do you know what difference the software makes, for example does it give better calibration results or does it just offer added extras so to speak

The calibration is pretty much the same throughout the range but the higher options give you calibration relative to the ambient light settings and custom control of things like gamma setting, its detailed very well on their site.

Alan

P.S. What the software does is create a new ICC profile for your monitor by measuring multiple levels in both RGB and grey scale but you can of course still tweak the brightness and contrast manually to match your particular environment.

19 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

The calibration is pretty much the same throughout the range but the higher options give you calibration relative to the ambient light settings and custom control of things like gamma setting, its detailed very well on their site.

Alan

P.S. What the software does is create a new ICC profile for your monitor by measuring multiple levels in both RGB and grey scale but you can of course still tweak the brightness and contrast manually to match your particular environment.

Thanks Alan for the explanation been a real help

Archived