NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Astronomik WB Clip

At last Astronomik have bought a WB filter to the market in the form of a clip, this enables a IR modified DSLR to be used for normal daytime use without messing about with custom WB. http://tinyurl.com/5cye95

This is great news if like myself the DSLR doubles as a family/everyday use camera :)

It does not look like its available yet in the UK but I have used the US dealer in the past with no problems.

Couple of prices from international dealers:

USA http://tinyurl.com/64pbyv

Thats 81GBP in old money

Germany http://tinyurl.com/6r25mg

Thats 103GBP in old money

The alternative is the XNite CC1 58mm from http://tinyurl.com/699dpg

This is a 58mm screw in filter not a clip, beware of ordering filters from Maxmax as the postage is a joke.....

Subtotal: $76.00

UPS WorldWide Express: $86.27

Handling: $17.00

Total Order: $179.27

yep thats right.....the postage is more than the filter.....priceless :laughing3:

I'm pretty sure that this can only be used on a modded camera which has had the original UV/IR filter replaced by a clear glass filter (for protection of the CMOS sensor). If the stock UV/IR filter it has been replaced by a UV/IR filter which has a wider response into the Ha region it will not be compatible.

For Astrophotography when you remove the OWB filter you will need either a UV/IR filter that passes Ha or a CLS clip filter that has a modified cutoff response in the IR region just above the Ha region, or alternatively a narrow band Filter will cut off IR/UV.

Regards

Kevin

Is using a custom WB really that much of a problem?

Its seems pretty easy to do. Ok you have the added problem of having to redo the custom WB for differnet light sources as well but if you shoot in raw then WB is pretty well academic because you can change it all afterwards.

Also the clip-ins arent really compatible with EF-S lenses.

All good stuff though...and probably does a better job than a les sthan perfect Custom WB or dodgy post-processing and will allow you to shoot jpegs...

Billy...

Waiting for clear skies to test my modded 350D............

I'm pretty sure that this can only be used on a modded camera which has had the original UV/IR filter replaced by a clear glass filter. If it has been replaced by a filter which has a wider response into the Ha region it will not be compatible.

A clear glass if "essentially" transparent to way beyound 2000nm... hmmmm....

Who shoots in auto.... :)

OK I suppose the "family" might :clouds1:

Sorry I keep forgetting I have been at this photography lark for 30+ years starting with fully manual 35mm cameras and spending about 15 years shooting transparency with little or no room for error.

My DSLR's only pass through Auto on the way to something more creative :(

Billy...

Billy you cant use custom white balance in auto mode.

Regards

Kevin

Exactly :) I'm a point and shoot man and one of the conditions of buying the DSLR by her indoors was that it had to be for family use too or the cost couldn't be justified.

With the WB filter it will again become a family camera, now all I have to-do is find the dosh for the filter :(

Also I think the clips are OK with standard Canon lenses but I will check that out.

It's the EF-S ( the cheapo ones "designed" to work with the APS sized sensors) that are a problem as they sit further into the camera.

Nothing wrong with point and shoot an apologise if I offended anyone by suggesting otherwise. I get critiscised for doing too much in the camera by some "pro" mates of mine - mainly the younger ones though who didnt have to work with 35mm transparencies...

Old habits die hard...

Billy...

It does not look like its available yet in the UK

It will be available in the UK, I know Bern @ Modern Astronomy will be selling it. Just isn't on the website yet.

Eddie

They're in, it's official :)

bern

PS Only two left.

Archived