Narrowband

PHD- recalibration required if shooting below the Equatorial?

laser_jock99

I tried imaging some Southern galaxies in Corvus and noticed my autoguiding quickly went to pot the further south I imaged. Given that the stars curve in a different direction to the Northern Hemishpere (see image below for what I mean)- should I have re-calibrated as I usauly wouls moving from the western to the eastern sky?

Star trails curving north & south.

Startrails004.jpg

Post your guide log. We need to know if you are ST4 guiding or pulse guiding and what you calibration was like. The guide log contains much of the information needed to analyse what's happening.

You should not have to recalibrate if you are pulse guiding and did your calibration near the celestial equator.

If you are using PHD2 it saves your log automatically in Documents\PHD2. If you are not using it I recommend to update to the latest version http://openphdguiding.org/downloads/

Pulse guiding allows PHD2 to get more information from the mount, importantly the declination. So if you calibrate once near the celestial equator it can calculate the required corrections for different declinations so you don't have to recalibrate. On the other hand your mount needs to support providing the declination via ASCOM. 

Archived