Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 2nd attempt

Lovely result. Especially for a basic unguided setup and an unmodded camera. I can't get a result like that with better kit! Can't make up my mind whether to be depressed or inspired!

RL

What mount are you using? It's doing ok to turn out 50 120sec subs at that focal length with only a bit of trailing. Just think what you could do with a H-alpha modded camera and a cheap autoguider setup...

10 hours ago, rl said:

What mount are you using? It's doing ok to turn out 50 120sec subs at that focal length with only a bit of trailing. Just think what you could do with a H-alpha modded camera and a cheap autoguider setup...

Neq6pro mount being used.

That's a very fine result for unguided imaging, you certainly have your mount tracking well. Looking at the image details, only 5 darks will more likely add noise than remove it as it isn't enough for the noise patterns to average out properly, it's better to take 20-30. (Personally, I rarely bother with DSLR darks as there is no guarantee the temperature profile will match the lights, but I do take dark bias). The kappa-sigma clip option in DSS is very good for removing DSLR noise patterns when used with dithering (when guiding) or with unguided imaging where the target will tend to drift across the sensor.

Other comments, by 5xlights I guess you mean flats? As with the darks it's better to take more so they average out properly. I'd also say your background is perhaps a bit dark and there is a blue halo around the galaxy, possibly due to a flats issue. I'd also try backing off on the saturation a touch. The stars are a bit elongated, I guess you don't have a coma corrector?

Btw, a modded DSLR won't really help with galaxies.

Hope that's some help, you're doing a lot of things right to get to this point.

Archived