NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DIY simple light blocking wall

N3ptune

I had the idea to build a light wall today to block some bothering street and houses lights at various spots I go to install my telescope.  I imagined this concept which is fairly fast to install should  provide good results (I think) The challenge is to keep it standing with some wind of course. It has to be high enough while using the 200mm on the EQ5 equatorial mount.

This is the final product, the 2 tripods are used drum stands for cymbals with 2 wood rods of 16mm. The top of the sheet is @ +- 1.8m the length is +- 1.9m and the wall sheet itself is around 0.9m.

b1QydFL.jpg?1

nQvzTM9.jpg?1

Those of course are barbell weights 4.5kg each. I used 2 per tripod instead of 3 for handling. If 2 is not enough, ill put a 3rd one per tripods simply but it should be OK.

vTxFeK2.jpg?1

If this could help others to create their own simple light wall for observation, hopefully this idea might help!

Back to Astronomy trip preparation now!

@Dave In Vermont You are right, didn't though of the light reflection under the sheet, that can be done without too much trouble I believe.

@Knighty2112 Ahh, the wall is not to be used on the deck it's for a few other spots. I don't use the deck often for observation because of the house behind, I can't see Polaris with my polarscope because of the roof.... )):

Archived