NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Guide Camera for Short Exposures and OAG (Eventually)

Andyb90

Hi Everyone,

I'm looking for a more sensitive guide camera that will give plenty of stars with short exposures (1 sec) which are recommended for my Avalon linear mount. Also eventually I want to start using an OAG so will need more sensitivity.

So far l've looked at the ASI174MM and QHY5iii 174 mono cameras. The pixel size looks good at 5.86µm. Sensor size looks good too. Peak QE is also listed as 78% on the Modern Astronomy website.

I also looked at the Lodestar x2 but have read comments about interlacing issues. Although I'm not too sure what this means.

Do the 174 cameras seem like a good choice? Should I still consider the Lodestar x2 or any other similar priced cameras? Any advice would be appreciated.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

The Lodestar is very sensitive. I regularly use mine with an OAG to guide at nearly 3m focal length and have never failed to find a guide star. 

I have the original version btw.

I found this info on the qhy5iii 174:

"The unique QHYCCD design keeps the 1.25inch eyepiece design. The advantage of this design is a more efficient transfer of heat to the outer case enabling lower noise especially in high ambient temperatures.  The 1.25 inch design also offers the shortest possible backfocus, making the camera ideal for Off Axis guiding. In addition, the QHY5III174 uses the LEMO style connector for the guide port.  These connectors are known for being both rugged and reliable connectors."

I''m not sure if anything above offers a significant advantage over the ASI174.

Andy.

Hi Andy,

Both Guiders are very good, do you have on your LAPTOP or PC USB3 Port/s?? Since one of the advantages  of qhy5iii 174 is, it is with USB3 version equipped..

if you should have USB3 on your LAPTOP/PC ? then I would go for qhy5iii 174, if not, then take the cheaper LODESTAR.. 

I have both of them, I personally and since I have qhy5iii 174, did stop to use the LODESTAR:icescream:..

Cheers

Martin:icon_albino:

I have just sold my Lodestar and am using my ZWO ASI174MM.  It's a no brainer for me since I use the 174 for DSO session guiding, lunar, planetary and solar imaging. It is a camera that is extremely easy to live with and probably the first I will wear out!

On 23/03/2017 at 07:30, artem said:

Hi Andy,

Both Guiders are very good, do you have on your LAPTOP or PC USB3 Port/s?? Since one of the advantages  of qhy5iii 174 is, it is with USB3 version equipped..

if you should have USB3 on your LAPTOP/PC ? then I would go for qhy5iii 174, if not, then take the cheaper LODESTAR.. 

I have both of them, I personally and since I have qhy5iii 174, did stop to use the LODESTAR:icescream:..

Cheers

Martin:icon_albino:

Yes, have a USB 3.0 port on my laptop and a powered USB 3.0 hub. I've gone for the QHY5iii 174 :-)

Andy.

Archived