NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Starsense question

I have a CGEM mount and two scope setups. One equinox and guide scope for imaging and a C9.25 with OAG as a second setup which I interchange depending on what I am doing. I use the CGEM mount on a fixed pier in the garden so PA once set is not an issue apart from an occasional check.

I have a starsense on the equinox at the moment which works well for alignment. If I swapped this hardware to the C9.25 OTA then obviously the camera calibration would have to be redone etc. Question, if I had a second starsense camera attached to the C9.25 OTA permanently, and I used it with a second hand controller with the mount when I used this other scope, I assume this would work ok on the basis I am assuming there is no data or settings resident on the actual CGEM mount that relate to the starsense system, and that provided I make sure I use the paired hand controller with the same camera each time as a pair, then that would save me recalibrating the camera each time I change scopes.

Does that make sense or have I missed something, or is there a way to use the memory save/load options in the  starsense somehow to change settings for both OTA's?  I assumed these were for use if you used the system on different mounts, not different OTAs on the same mount.

Grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

steve

Short answer: The HC holds the relevant alignment information.

You canvas you have seen, move the starsense from one mount to another, but, again, as you have said it does need recalibration

Q. are you looking at this for imaging or observing?

Love it, but, just typing my response to you made me do the "why?" if I am plate solving my targets :) 

I have one, and tbh. not sure what I am using it for now. I'll do an alignment, calibration, and another alignment. Add a couple of calibration stars, then promptly go to Stellarium to slew to target, and Astrotortilla to ensure it is centred.\

hmmmm... :(

Sure I will realise in a wee while... :)

Just to be clear, I am using the same mount but 2 different OTAs and am trying to avoid changing the camera over each time I change OTA on the mount. So if I had the luxury of 2 starsense units thought I could use one set (camera and SS-HC) for each OTA which would save me recalibration (camera centering) effort each time.

Starsense can store up to three (i think) "user profiles". You just need to SAVE a "user profile" for each scope. Then LOAD the correct one each time you change the scope.

Should be no need for 2 cameras at all !!

See https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/558497-how-to-use-the-same-starsense-modul-on-2-different-scopesotas/

Latest starsense manual here

http://www.celestron.com/media/1317936/94005_starsense_autoalign_manual_february2016.pdf

page 26in the "hand control" menu, mentions the load/save user profiles

HTH,

Alan

20 minutes ago, alanjgreen said:

Starsense can store up to three (i think) "user profiles". You just need to SAVE a "user profile" for each scope. Then LOAD the correct one each time you change the scope.=

The NexStar+ also allows for three 'profiles'

Not sue why,  if you have purchased three mounts and therefore are likely to have three controllers, but that's life I suppose.

This does not, as far as I remember, include sky map details as that will change everything you move your mount.

Thanks Alan, the manual which I have seen, seems to avoid the save/load subject unless I missed it. I will give it a try but "if" I was to obtain a second camera and HC my theory should work but the only benefit would be to avoid me moving the camera then assuming all the other mount data is setup the same in both controllers?

Archived