Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Photographing the 2017 Eclipse

SlimPaling

Hi ..

I will be going to the USA to see the August 2017 eclipse and I want to be well prepared to take images of the event using my Canon 5DMkIII. I will be leaving my telescope at home in the UK ! I will also be making my own solar filter masks for the even using the "proper stuff".

On the 'net I have just come across programmable remote camera controller called the "Promote Control" ..... it seems to offer more options to control my 5D than the standard (but still expensive) Canon remote controller.

I am looking to be able to pre-program the remote to take a series of RAW images right through the eclipse event ... from appox 10 minutes before totality .... during totality ..... and 10 minutes after totality. However I will need to be able to pre-set changes in shutter speed to cope with the changing light levels as this sequence unfolds without touching the camera ( a range from say 1/1000th sec during the "partial eclipse" stage down to 1/5th sec during totality).

I am hoping to be able to take bracketed RAW images at least during totality to allow me to process the images to show the full corona but I am not sure if this device will allow me to program it to cope with this.

Does anybody out there have any experience of the "Promote Control" remote camera controller???? Will it do what I am looking for????

Regards Mike

2 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

You need to look for an intervalometer, there are loads on Amazon\eBay etc...

Hi Julian ...

I am particularly trying to find out about the camera controller called the "Promote Control" (see my first message above) that I have spotted on the 'net earlier today. It seems to have more functions than most others.

Mike

Technically, If you are taking a PC with you, there is nothing that you can do with the device that BackyardEOS cannot do, including mirror lock, mount control, focus control etc.. & if you add in Magic Lantern, then you will have access to the 'hidden' functions of the camera.

So it will come down to how much kit you are taking etc...

Archived