SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heavy duty photo tripod for small refractor

I picked up a used Manfrotto 058B tripod and put a used DSV-1 mount on it.  It works exceptionally well with my AT-72ED refractor and heavy eyepieces.  All told, the mount has around 8 pounds hanging off of it and the tripod has around 12 pounds on it.  I think I spent maybe $250 on the tripod and mount and am very pleased with the result.  The only thing I had to add were Sorbothane pads under each tripod foot to dampen vibrations.

I really like the fact that I can adjust the spread angle of the legs.  Most, if not all, dedicated astronomy tripods are designed to have a fixed spread angle.  I also like that I can crank up the center column a bit if the eyepiece is a bit too low to be comfortable when observing near zenith.  Once I lock it back down again, it's pretty rigid.

Gimbal heads may not have enough clearance to use near zenith.  They're intended for mostly horizonal usage.  However, if you've already got one or can get one cheap, it's worth a shot.  Otherwise, I recommend an offset type mount for astronomy like the DSV-1 or UniStar.

28 minutes ago, Gabby76 said:

I use a Manfrotto 055pro/ RC128 Pan head with my SV80mm and it works well.

I have that same setup for videography, but when I tried using it with my AT72ED, it would flop backward at altitudes above about 45 degrees no matter how tightly I set the drag control.  Keeping the center of gravity centered on the altitude axis is very important, thus the gimbal head is not a bad option.  The tripod does work, but I felt putting 12+ pounds on it was a bit much, thus the 058B.

Archived