NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Boxcar Filter - help

I am shortly going to receive my S @ N prize and this is a filter wheel and LRGB filter set. Both my CCDs are one shot colour types but I would like to have a go with the set when it arrives and my normal method of using for example an Ha filter is to bin 2 x to destroy the Bayer Matrix. However, I know that I can also destroy the matrix by the use of a 'Boxcar Filter' but MaximDL only implements this filter on the FLAT when carrying out a calibration.

Any thoughts on how I can apply a boxcar filter to my images?

Steve, looking through the Nebulosity 2 manual: http://www.stark-labs.com/downloads.html

There is a section (12.3) on using narrowband filters with OSC cameras and then using tools in Nebulosity to optimize the results. This may (or may not) be relevant and/or of interest!

I'm currently just standing at the foot of the LRGB/Ha learning curve.....

Cheers

Mark

Could you just convert from RGB to greyscale in Photoshop?

Thanks, KK. I have tried this simple method but found the results from a binned 2 x image to be much crisper.

There is a section (12.3) on using narrowband filters with OSC cameras and then using tools in Nebulosity to optimize the results. This may (or may not) be relevant and/or of interest!

Thanks Mark, this is both interesting and relevant but I guess some experimentation is going to be required. I would prefer not to have to bib my images as this will result in a 25% pixel count which seems rather a waste of resources!

Eddie, thanks for those settings. I cannot find a tutorial showing why one would select the values that you have in the boxes you have selected but hopefully I will find one!

John, the binning method (at imaging point not in post processing) has always worked well for me before but I'd like to use all the pixels I have available on the CCD!

In reality, if you're using an Ha filter, you'll only be getting signal though the red pixels, the blue and green will only be adding noise.

Ideally you should convert it to RGB using a method which doesn't mix channels (eg. bilinear) and then just use the red channel.

John

Archived