Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help deciding what to do.

valefor

Hey guys. Sorry to bother you with this but ive been racking my brains around so many options sonce christmas and im not getting any closer to an answer than i was before. Basicly ive been using a dslr for 6 years with my kit and wanted to move to ccd. Both planets and dsos (i know one cam doesnt do all) but i have £400 to play with so here is my choices.

A asi224mc for planets only. A great camera but most of the budget would be gone. Or

An altair gpcam v2 imx224 and a used atik 16ic-s mono for a bit of both

As far as equipment goes. I have a heq5pro, ed80, skymax150 and explorer 250p. I do have a filter wheel with rgb ha and o3. So a bit of this and that. I wont be selling my 600d because id like to keep doing wider fov with it but i just dont know what to do with this £400 as far as cams go. I know i laid out 2 options, do you guys like either option or have one of your own? 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.s sorry to go on so long. :)

I don't have any experience of either camera to be honest. The altair gpcam v2 imx224 seems to have the same sensor as the Asi224mc, or have I read it incorrectly?

With the atik 16ic-s mono, will you not need some RGB filters as well? If so maybe a 2nd hand "mono" planetary camera might be a better choice?

Hopefully somebody with more knowledge of them both will be along shortly to give you some "hands on" opinion. 

Thanks for replying. The altair and zwo 224s both have the same sensor but there has got to be a reason why there is £100 difference between them. I already have rgb filters if i did the 16ic-s. 

Dave

Archived