Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Losmandy counterweight bar screw thread?

milosz

Hi,

Does anyone know what is the size of the screw that prevents counterweight to fall from losmandy counterweight bar? I measured it and it doesn't look like a metric thread. It has around 9.2 mm outside diameter. The closest popular imperial size is 3/8''. Does anyone know where to buy replacement for this knob? I'm enclosing the picture so it's clear which part I'm talking about.

milosz

knob.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unified_Thread_Standard

I measured again. The outside diameter is 9.48 - 9.5mm. I counted 9 threads per 0.5 inch, but as I'm measuring in mm, this might be slightly off. So 16tpi looks about right. Basing on wiki, the closest is 3/8 UNC thread. Any idea where can I get such screw?

milosz

Losmandy replacement parts are available through Orion Optics UK, however, they are, as one would expect, on the expensive side. I have used 3/8" stainless whitworth, at this size it is almost a match with the 3/8" UNC used by Losmandy. Ebay will provide you with suppliers for small quantities of stainless bolts and studding, often sold in short lengths. Use a short bolt, Araldite a wing nut or plastic knob on at the head end, to use as a grip, job done :)

Expensive, as you only need one, if you source Ebay you can get a 4" length of 3/8" stainless UNC ( HPC gears ) for just over £1.50  and a scallop 10mm female threaded star knob for just over £4-0. Cut your thread to length, Araldite / epoxy, centrally and upright into the threaded part of the knob and allow to set, this will give a strong bond. Job done at just under £6. Just a suggested alternative solution :) 

Archived