Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What a difference the Moon makes

centroid

Following on from the 10x400 sec subs I captured for my IC5070 (Pelican) Image,

see:

http://stargazerslounge.com/index.php/topic,29893.0.html

Last night I set out to capture some more subs to add to the origininal image.

Captured another 12x400 sec subs, but when I came to process them this morning, the results were quite 'washed out', and a lot of the nebula had faded into the sky background.

Out interest, I added these 12 subs to the original 10, and the result was an image, much degraded from the orignal.

Just goes to show, how much a full moon lit sky, oblierates the really faint stuff.

So, I'd have been better off going to bed at a reasonable hour, instead of staying out until 01.30 :clouds1: .

Then again, I should have known better than trying to image a mag 30 object, with a full moon around :hello2: .

Dave

Hi Dave

I am glad I read your post as last night I imaged the Bubble and was disappointed with the result as half the nebula was missing, as you say washed out. I thought it was my carp imaging but know I realise it was probably the moon. I have attached my image to show what I mean.

Robin

7731_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

That's no too bad at all Robin, and with a Mag 7 object to 'play with', you've got half a chance with the Moon around.

With the 'Pelican' at Mag 30, the moonlight just killed it, and my 80 mins of imaging time, was just wasted.

Mind you, I should have known better than to try, but with clear skies being such rarity, I let 'my heart rule my head'. What a silly boy am I :hello2:

Dave

So, I'd have been better off going to bed at a reasonable hour, instead of staying out until 01.30 :hello2: .

Dave

HECK!! Dave SHHHHHHHH!! Dont let my Mrs hear you say that about reasonable hours, I have just about convinced her that ALL amateur astronomers stay out till 05:00.

Thats a good point though, well worth bearing in mind.

Cheers

TJ

Archived