Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Thinking about a new imaging set up.

Astroblagger

Hello

I may be in the market for some new imaging gear as I want to get fairly close up images of galaxy's, I own a C9.25 but its too much weight for my HEQ5, I also have a SW ed120, would a C8 be a good idea for imaging real close up? im using a finder guider also. Also my C9.25 has no mirror lock, which version of a C8 would I need?

I think you need the EDGE HD C8 which comes with mirror lock, although that also comes with it's own problems!

Of course, you can add something like the Skywatcher SCT focuser to a standard (non-EDGE SCT), so you can get rough focus with the C8 focuser and then sort fine focus with the SCT focuser, which I think is a very popular option. The EDGE HD is also specifically designed for imaging, but you do have the added complications of guiding at much longer focal lengths - although you may well be aware of that and have experience, so feel free to wave me away with a knowing hand! :-)

Interestingly, ENS optical have an EDGE HD on their site at the moment for £899, including the focal reducer, which seems like a great bargain. I have mentioned this site a couple of times recently and feel I need to stress that I am not affiliated with them, I am just always peeking to see what is about.

Have a look at this tool for your FOV examples on some of the DSO that are out there

http://astronomy.tools/calculators/field_of_view/

That will show you how "close" you can get to a lot of the Messier targets - which, in this case, might be just a bit too close. Larger ones like Andromeda, Orion or Pleiades will be far too large, even with the reducer. On the other hand, it would be great for planetary and close up Lunar/Solar work with the correct filters.

Anyway, I'll shut up now!

:-)

Archived