Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Autoguiding help?

Markh68

7 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

A 9x50 finder with a QHY5 will be adequate for your needs, bonus being its lightweight. Youre using an EQ5, so you need to keep any additional weight to a minimum.

Is there then just a camera and guidescope required any software?

I think the Orion still needs software, and that it's only a camera with guideport.

There are stand alone autoguiders, such as skywatchers and Lacerta mgen. Skywatchers solution seems tricky, some people just can't get it working properly. The Lacerta seems to be getting better reviews. Personally, I use a skywatcher st80 with zwo asi120mm and lin_guider on a raspberry pi. It's heavier than a finder guider, and needs some tinkering (installing software) to get it working.

I cant comment on the Orion autoguider (as Ive never used one), but the QHY5 Ive had for 6 years and its never missed a beat. You attach it to any Synta 9x50 finder using this:

http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/adapters/sky-watcher-clones-to-t-thread-adapter-for-straight-through-finders/

You need to install a bit of softare for it - Ascom etc.. (but all are instructions included). As for guiding, use PHD.

Nice thing is that the QHY doubles up as a planetary camera (if you ever fancy a go at that sort of thing).

On a side note, you need to eventually get away from mounting it in a standard finder bracket as its not solid enough to make it reliable. Some mini guidescope rings would do the job nicely, or in the meantime you can stiffen up the standard finder bracket by wrapping a bit of masking tape around the finder (and/or using the rubber O ring you get with it). Not forgetting to velcro up any cables to take the strain off the camera.

19 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

I cant comment on the Orion autoguider (as Ive never used one), but the QHY5 Ive had for 6 years and its never missed a beat. You attach it to any Synta 9x50 finder using this:

http://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/accessories/adapters/sky-watcher-clones-to-t-thread-adapter-for-straight-through-finders/

You need to install a bit of softare for it - Ascom etc.. (but all are instructions included). As for guiding, use PHD.

Nice thing is that the QHY doubles up as a planetary camera (if you ever fancy a go at that sort of thing).

Thanks. 

What software is required?

And what is PHD?

Archived