SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Musing - allsky camera for total eclipse?

Helen

We're off to the states in August and I'm trying to decide what to take (and so what I need to practice beforehand!).  I think I'l take my solar filter and little scope.  But I was wondering whether it might be fun to do a timelapse with an allsky set-up?  Ideally I'd like to set it up and let it run without intervention (trying to avoid being so busy with kit/photography that I don't look/feel/experience the event).  I've got an asi120 or a lodestar (both colour)...

Any views on practicality? what software etc?

Thanks

Helen

I know lots of people do take equipment to an eclipse but it's not for me. So my recommendation would be to either keep it fully automated or extremely simple.

I intentionally left all kit out of my two total eclipse experiences to ensure I wasn't distracted (or disappointed!). For me, seeing the eclipse was only part of it and only after my first one, 1999 in Bulgaria in perfect conditions, did I realise how much you feel it as well.

My senses and emotions were tingling. No image or instrument would ever record that! :)

Anyway, not jealous that my work shifts prevent me from going to this one. Not jealous at all! 

Thanks Paul.  I know exactly where you are coming from!  We experienced our first total eclipse in France in 1999 too - just amazing range of emotions.  We were due to go to Turkey, but Mike got food poisoning in the airport hotel and so we ended up in casualty not on the plane!  I then went to China, but weather conditions meant that that was totally a felt eclipse (although the change in light was very noticeable even with clouds).  Mike, as a fluke, got a couple of super totality shots from France (we'd done no prep or reading so it was guesswork really!) This time he says he is just going to look, feel and enjoy.  The astrophotographer in me wants something I can share and use to relive the feelings... So simple seems best, and I'm telling myself that I will not waste time if things go wrong with the kit (but hence the wish to at least try it all a few times first).

Helen

I am off to Hawaii in three weeks, three days stop over in San Fransisco, three days in Honolulu (Waikiki beach) and then ten days on the island of Maui, and also not sure what to take, I am going on an organised trip to a group of obsys high up in the mountains so that should be good, also the hotel next door to where we are staying has a 14" scope on the roof top for people to use...so may just take my DSLR... :)

Sorry a little of topic :)

1 minute ago, SkyBound said:

I am off to Hawaii in three weeks, three days stop over in San Fransisco, three days in Honolulu (Waikiki beach) and then ten days on the island of Maui, and also not sure what to take, I am going on an organised trip to a group of obsys high up in the mountains so that should be good, also the hotel next door to where we are staying has a 14" scope on the roof top for people to use...so may just take my DSLR... :)

Sounds brilliant :glasses9:   

Archived