Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

M37 with an SCT, unguided and DSLR

Moonshed

I have an 8" Celestron  SCT  mounted on a Bresser EQ5 and I use a Canon 1100D. The scope is F10  ( it was bought for observing which is still its main purpose) but by using an Easy guider it improves to around F6 (according to the paperwork) but that produces its own problems with vignetting and stars showing as blobs. I have no gear for guiding and just limit the length of my subs. Having learned how to collimate things have improved. Also I just purchased a PoleMaster, out of necessity, and the improvement that  has made is astonishing. This shot was taken with 10 X  90 second subs and 2x 150 seconds just to see how good the PA was using the PoleMaster.  Tracking was spot on! All at 800 ISO. Anyway, with all its faults here it is. I am happy with it although it can't of course compare to images taken with faster, guided, scopes and  cooled cameras etc. But for making do with existing gear it does me.

image.jpeg

I should add I have only spent 10 minutes on this in PS.

Keith

Not bad. You could try a Celestron f/6.3 reducer which goes for just £55-£65 on ABS. Vignetting with that is not much and it actually fixes the stars compared to the f/10 instead of adding to the problem (you can see here, albeit with a C9.25)... Don't get a Meade, since some of them are made incorrectly and will not focus with a DSLR.

1 hour ago, ecuador said:

Not bad. You could try a Celestron f/6.3 reducer which goes for just £55-£65 on ABS. Vignetting with that is not much and it actually fixes the stars compared to the f/10 instead of adding to the problem (you can see here, albeit with a C9.25)... Don't get a Meade, since some of them are made incorrectly and will not focus with a DSLR.

Thanks for the info I will look into it but most  likely will just stick with what I have as one thing tends to lead to another. I get better results on nebula and galaxies rather than individual stars as such. Have to say though I am sooooo impressed with the PoleMaster! Back problem solved and very accurate PA thrown in. Worth every penny.

1 hour ago, Moonshed said:

But for making do with existing gear it does me.

And that's the thing. You can get some more enjoyment out of your scope and if (when) the photography bug really bites...the slippery slope begins again :)

46 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

Thanks for the info I will look into it but most  likely will just stick with what I have as one thing tends to lead to another. I get better results on nebula and galaxies rather than individual stars as such. Have to say though I am sooooo impressed with the PoleMaster! Back problem solved and very accurate PA thrown in. Worth every penny.

Good to hear re: the Polemaster. I've just ordered one in the back of everyone raving about it. 

I have limited time in general and particularly for astronomy given our beautiful UK weather so anything that makes setting up quicker and improves results gets a thumbs up from me :) .

36 minutes ago, Filroden said:

And that's the thing. You can get some more enjoyment out of your scope and if (when) the photography bug really bites...the slippery slope begins again :)

Exactly! As you say it's a slippery slope. I bought a second hand Canon body, already had the Easy Guider from my film astrophotography days, and only needed buy a few bits and bobs. I had to buy the PoleMaster anyway because of back problems. That's it, I am not going to spend a lot of money. I enjoy the challenge of taking images of the night sky and showing my friends, but I love observing most. Astrophotography is a money pit! 

38 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Good to hear re: the Polemaster. I've just ordered one in the back of everyone raving about it. 

I have limited time in general and particularly for astronomy given our beautiful UK weather so anything that makes setting up quicker and improves results gets a thumbs up from me :) .

You will not regret it! Not only is the accuracy achieved as perfect as mechanicaly possible, it takes only a few minutes and the on-screen instructions walk you through it, it is a very easy and simple process.  You will love it ?

Archived