Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

SW AZ EQ5

JG777

Has anyone here got the Skywatcher AZ EQ5, if so wondered what the overall view of it is? I found one short thread with a search but not a huge load of info.

A couple of things am wondering, 

If it's used in AZ only configuration does it still need to be polar aligned? I am visual only so am unlikely to use the EQ config and would leave it in AZ mode all the time. Manual does not mention a set up in AZ mode.

Any issues with power? I once owned HEQ5 pro that was very power hungry and would give up at about 11.5v, so was wondering if a Tracer 12v would be good enough for this mount. 

Looking at this as most other AZ gotos have a 5 kilo limit and the scope going on this is a 6 inch F5 newt which will top out nearer to 6 kilos. I saw the ioptron MT2 as an alternative but nowhere seems to sell it or have stock and not much user info on that either. 

Thanks anyone who might know. 

Hi, I dont have one but did briefly have a azeq6 (& regret selling that now). Anyway in az mode, no you don't (can't due to how its set up in az mode) polar align the mount, you just plonk the mount down, & sync the goto with a 1,2 or 3 star alignment (or if you bought the starsense accessory let that do its thing).

Hi,

There's no polar alignment needed for AZ mode, as explained also above. There are just 1 and 2 stars align options. At max slewing speed, it could draw about 2A, much less just for tracking. I think it's less than the heq5 draws. Visually, I put several times the 8" dob's Newtonian tube and held it well enough. Mine has a significant RA backlash, but it doesn't bother me that much. It is also very silent. What I would improve first, would be the altitude adjustment when used in EQ mode. It allows the mount to move, but because of the weight, it doesn't matter fortunately. However, I am and I would be satisfied with it for a 10kg or less imaging kit. It will definitely hold your 6" newt.

Alex

10 hours ago, moise212 said:

Hi,

There's no polar alignment needed for AZ mode, as explained also above. There are just 1 and 2 stars align options. At max slewing speed, it could draw about 2A, much less just for tracking. I think it's less than the heq5 draws. Visually, I put several times the 8" dob's Newtonian tube and held it well enough. Mine has a significant RA backlash, but it doesn't bother me that much. It is also very silent. What I would improve first, would be the altitude adjustment when used in EQ mode. It allows the mount to move, but because of the weight, it doesn't matter fortunately. However, I am and I would be satisfied with it for a 10kg or less imaging kit. It will definitely hold your 6" newt.

Alex

Thanks Alex,

I thought that might be the case that no PA needed it's just that in all the videos it shows it being set up in EQ mode then changed to AZ. Thanks for confirming. There doesn't seem to be many users of it and most reports from the few are not exactly in love with it. Found one other thread about power issues but it's not enough info to pull the trigger on one. Ah well the search goes on! 

1 minute ago, JG777 said:

Thanks Alex,

I thought that might be the case that no PA needed it's just that in all the videos it shows it being set up in EQ mode then changed to AZ. Thanks for confirming. There doesn't seem to be many users of it and most reports from the few are not exactly in love with it. Found one other thread about power issues but it's not enough info to pull the trigger on one. Ah well the search goes on! 

I power it from a 12V 4A switched mode power supply at home and directly from the car's battery when outside. I don't know if this is helpful for you, but I'm not worried at all if I do it this way. Sometimes, when it's colder, after some hours, I turn the car's engine on for a while, just in case :)

Archived