Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New to Spectroscopy

Pig

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya jack,
I managed to sort it last night. Yes it would appear so, I just need to remember the target should not be in the centre of the eyepiece before putting the camera in, slightly to the left is best. I guess the sensor is offset a tad compared to an eyepiece.  All is working fine again :happy7:

The light in the star image, (the zero order) goes straight through the grating and the spectrum is deflected to one side. You will find spectra to the left and right of the zero order. You want the brighter one which should be in the same direction as the little white mark on the edge of the grating cell. Start off with a bright  main sequence Av or Bv type star which show clear Hydrogen Balmer lines  (eg Castor, Regulus at this time of year, there is a list of them in the manual) . First focus on the zero order, then wind the focusser in slightly until you can see  one or two absorption lines in the blue (These are the H beta and H gamma lines.)  Focussing is the trickiest step. Once you have that mastered this you are on your way!   Once you have seen these features, (or if you are struggling) try a cool M type star which will show broad molecular bands which show up even if your focus is not perfect. Betelgeuse is a good target at this time of year.

Cheers

Robin

That sounds great Robin... We have a couple of clear hours forecast from early evening until around 9pm, I will give an M star a shot. I have captured the spectra for Vega & Sirius thus far :happy7:

On ‎01‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 20:56, Jack Martin said:

Pig,

Looking at your set up it might be an alignment problem with the grating.

Regards,

Jack

Huggins Spectroscopic Observatory UK

Jack, it turned out to be a camera setting that was incorrect, somehow it had switched and was operating in "expert mode" thus the camera settings had to be defined by the user. I simply selected "normal mode" and all became good. I guess I must have accidently managed to switch between modes :happy7:

18 minutes ago, Jack Martin said:

Pig,

This can happen, what camera are you using ?

Hiya Jack,
The camera is a UI-2410ME-C-HQ colour CCD made by IDS :happy8: 
I can see the zero point star and the spectra now but if you have suggestions for improvements with the camera settings that will be fantastic. They are currently set to the factory default.

2 minutes ago, Merlin66 said:

Pig,

If it has a colour CCD chip, then setting the camera to "Mono" will make very little difference.

Thank you, I thought as much :happy8: I will make do with what I have for now.
I do enjoy capturing and playing with spectra....... it adds another very interesting path to go down.

Archived