Another quasar

lukebl

Thanks to nytecam for pointing this one out, over on the Cloudy Nights forum. He posted an image of the quasar CX0 J02224+4221, which happens to be right next to NGC891 (or, more correctly, way off in the distance behind it).

I checked on my last image of it, and there it is. 18th magnitude, and possibly 8.5 billion light years away. 8,500,000,000 light years. That's a lot of light years! Light from before the earth existed, in fact.

Discovered by British-born astrophysicist, Margaret Burbidge, now aged 97 and living in California!

32066784780_6154678193_b.jpg

Jaw hits floor

That's cool, 8.5 billion years, nearly twice the age of our solar system! Its sort of similar to something I've been thinking about for a while. I've been wondering how far back/deep we can get with amateur kit. I see some post on here with 36h exposure time (which quite frankly is astounding anyway) and I wonder if between us we can get a similar exposure of a target as the Hubble deep field (13 days? In that range) and how it would compare to the professional image. Who's good at processing who would like to have a go eh? Anyone? 

11 hours ago, Stinky_Pete said:

Jaw hits floor

That's cool, 8.5 billion years, nearly twice the age of our solar system! Its sort of similar to something I've been thinking about for a while. I've been wondering how far back/deep we can get with amateur kit. I see some post on here with 36h exposure time (which quite frankly is astounding anyway) and I wonder if between us we can get a similar exposure of a target as the Hubble deep field (13 days? In that range) and how it would compare to the professional image. Who's good at processing who would like to have a go eh? Anyone? 

Here's a good target at 12 billion light years, a lensed Quasar in Lynx. At about mag 15-16 it should be possible to image with quite modest equipment. I've managed to get down past mag 19 with a DSLR and 200mm lens, which puts a large number of quasars in range.

The problem with taking a really long exposure down here is that most of us will hit a wall sooner or later due to light pollution or skyglow. The other thing to bear in mind is that the Hubble Deep Fields show a truly tiny patch of sky while amateurs image at much shorter focal lengths, very distant galaxies will show up as point sources. If you're interested, here's my modest attempt at a 'deep field' type image, I managed to pick up a few hundred galaxies in one image.

I was wondering what would happen if say 100 of us with the same camera type took 4h each of a single patch of sky and stacked it, how deep that would go.  Love the idea of the lensed  quasar tho

19 minutes ago, Knight of Clear Skies said:

Here's a good target at 12 billion light years, a lensed Quasar in Lynx. At about mag 15-16 it should be possible to image with quite modest equipment. I've managed to get down past mag 19 with a DSLR and 200mm lens, which puts a large number of quasars in range.

The problem with taking a really long exposure down here is that most of us will hit a wall sooner or later due to light pollution or skyglow. The other thing to bear in mind is that the Hubble Deep Fields show a truly tiny patch of sky while amateurs image at much shorter focal lengths, very distant galaxies will show up as point sources. If you're interested, here's my modest attempt at a 'deep field' type image, I managed to pick up a few hundred galaxies in one image.

Jaw hits floor

Archived