Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rigel Eyepieces

Alfian

ABS are advertising some Rigel eyepieces. I know Rigel Systems are something different and the only useful reference is to Pulsar Observatories.com . I  Have a feeling that Pulsar  once had a link with ABS so could it be that Rigel eyepieces are like so many EPs that are re-badged to be sold by suppliers such as Pulsar, or have I got it wrong?

I think Rigel was a branding used by one of the retailers - possibly Pulsar. The ones that ENS are selling seem to be clones of the Skywatcher Aero ED series.

I think most of the eyepieces around these days are clones of one thing or another and available under different brandings and even different body styles, just to confuse things further.

Whether the details such as the coatings used are exactly the same is very difficult to tell unless you have some of the interations side by side for very close examination and testing.

• 1 month later...

Just a small follow up on this as I succumbed to the 35mm Rigel eyepiece. I had considered the 40mm but the 35mm would be useful for both my ED100 and my TS Optics 80mm. Few clear nights has meant that I’ve tended  more towards enjoying what I can see rather than analysing how well things are working so I’ve not really scrutinised its finer points. Anyway for what its worth I thought I'd post a few comments and a few pics.  On the few brief outings its had I've been  quite impressed, it has certainly given me the sharp wide field views I was hoping for, particularly on star clusters which I like. There was no obvious distractions or anything else that caused me to doubt its optical function. (time will tell!) It  seems  solidly built without being flashy and looks to have good coatings. Its a very comfortable EP to use with the soft rubber eye cup that neatly retracts into the body being a nice touch. Its also not especially large for a 2” 35mm EP.  Comparing it  to my Meade Series 5000 28mm it seems quite plain and ordinary in appearance and mechanicals, but I have to say, as good as the 28mm is, I prefer the Rigel. Anyway here are a few pics, someone might like to compare  it  to the Skywatcher Aero which it seems to resemble.

Rigel 35 a.JPG

Rigel 35 b.JPG

Rigel 35c.JPG

Rigel 35d.JPG

Archived