NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mad dash for Mars

Swoop1

I had a late finish at work today which meant that dinner was soon after I got home as were the clearing up chores. As I was leaving work I could see that Venus was high and bright again. This got me to thinking. Last night whilst at my adopted away site, I wanted to try for Mars. Starlight showed it in close proximity to Venus and well above the horizon. I knew this was wrong as I had already identified the iPad was having a hissy fit so, I decided that I would give Mars another go tonight. 

I set my rig up when I got home then did the eating and clearing up stuff after which I went out to play. Venus was first to check alignment and I spent a few minutes swapping the optics around enjoying the view. I then switched over to Mars and got it straight away. With the 25mm I could just make out that there was substance to the target. Upping to the 10mm then adding in the X2 Barlow and the disc resolved itself- small but discernible. The iPad was behaving itself tonight and I saw that Neptune (I think it was) was also on the same arc as Venus and Mars but closer to the horizon. I tried to hunt it down but a tree got in the way. Not the end of the world as I can save this target for another session. 

After Mars I decided to try again for M31. I could identify Cassiopeia and, with the help of Starlight was able then to identify Andromeda. Again, I didn't know where in the area to look for M31 so decided to quarter the area to see if I struck lucky. I tried for what felt like about 15 minutes but, suddenly a voice Identifiable as Mrs Swoop called to say that the pot of tea I had made an hour earlier was getting a bit cold! Had to pack up and go and pour what turned out to be a nice, warm mug of builders tea. 

There is always another night.....

2 questions-

1) Is there a magnification calculator on the forum?

2) Do I understand correctly that Mars is getting distant at the moment and will get closer in the future>

Thanks all.

It sounds like you had an enjoyable time planet hopping.:icon_compress:

I'm not sure about the magnification calculator question, but calculating magnification is easy. Just divide the focal length of your telescope 'F' by the focal length of your eyepiece 'f'. So F÷f = magnification.

If you want to know the field of view an eyepiece is giving, then divide the apparent field 'af' of the eyepiece by the magnification 'M', So af ÷ M = true field. 

With regard to Mars, yes its now getting smaller and will become too small to observe before long. It will return however in 2018 and will put on quite a show, weather permitting. Despite being large on its next return to our skies, it will still be quite low and will need patient observation if you want to get the most out of it. 

Mike

Archived