NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Yep its orion

Devon_Demon

orion_m42 best 3-01.png

Well set up for M42  with the ZWO osc camera and WO GT 81

So below is a stack of  40  x 180 s  totalling 1 hour 20 mins.

Unity Gain.

-20 degs.

pre processed in nebulosity 4.   

master dark.

master bias.

normalised.

De-bayered.

further processing in PI.

rescale to 50%.

background neutralisation.

ABE.

histogram transfer.

Bit of Curves.

No noise reduction.

saved as PNG.

Still learning to process, so constructive criticism welcome........be gentle .

Regard

Graham

9 hours ago, SkyBound said:

Was that taken with the OSC version of the very popular ASI1600 ?? :)

And isn't 40x180 second exposures 2 hours and not 1 hour 20 mins...? :)

If I remember correctly from a history class ages ago, they tried to use decimal time for a while during the french revolution. Then 1 hour = 100 minutes, so 40 * 3 minutes was actually 1 hour and 20 minutes. Otoh, 180 seconds was only 1 minute and 80 seconds.

But, yes, nowadays 40 * 3 minutes is 2 hours.

Btw, great image, Graham. Just two tips:

1 if you use scnr in pixinsight, you can get rid of the green colour cast

2 with so much nebulosity, you have to be careful when doing background extraction. On my mobile device, it looks like you have an uneven background, with a dark region around m42. This can be caused by abe. Use dbe instead, with careful sampling. Place few samples, and place them manually, avoiding stars and nebula. Always examine the background model before applying dbe permanently. The background model should never have a structure with detail, but only a gradual intensity and/or colour variation.

Thanks for showing what the colour version of the asi1600 can achieve.

thanks guys

I really should of payed more attention in maths all them years ago.........!,

yes this is from the one shot colour , I think I might need a iv filter or maybe a light pollution filter though.

im really likeing this camera and am going to try my canon 24-105 usml lens on it as now have an adjustable lens adapted for it.

i will try dbe instead of abe, I now have the new book for pixisight so a lot of reading me thinks.

Regards

Graham.

One way to place dbe samples is to clone the image before any process. Process the clone untill it reveals faint dust. Then place dbe samples on this clone, where there is only background. Do not apply dbe, but drag an instance of the dbe process onto the workspace. Close dbe, and apply the dbe process on the workspace to the original image. Discard the clone.

Another method is to download an image of the same target and roughly the same or wider field of view. Use this as a reference when placing samples on your image.

Use a sample size that is larger than the default size.

http://wimvberlo.blogspot.se/2016/08/note-on-dynamic-background-extraction.html?m=1

Archived